• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bogota skin (1 Viewer)

kweetal

Netherlands
In Peters' Check-list and elsewhere I often encounter the term "Bogota skin", which seems to be a 19th century term/practice/provenance, in recent texts mostly in quotes, and I wonder what exactly it means. Does it imply that the provenance is no further certain than Bogota (i.e, anywhere in Colombia)? Or is it perhaps a preparation method? Does anyone know? (google shrugs helplessly). Thanks!

Last edited:
From The Key:
bogotense / bogotensis

Bogotá (formerly Santa Fé de Bogotá), Colombia. In early ornithology “Bogotá” was used to designate a species of unknown provenance but, from the distinctive way in which the trade-skin had been prepared, presumed to be from the Spanish Main (= Spanish-held Mainland), the hinterland of north-western tropical America.

Basically, in the early 1800s (primarily), European and American museums purchased specimens from local collectors in Colombia via some sort of clearing house in Bogota. In many cases, there was no information provided as to where the specimens actually were taken, but it is assumed that it was somewhere in the nearby Magdalena valley, Eastern Andes, or nearby Amazonian slope (e.g., near Villavicencio), as travel was fairly limited at the time. These specimens that became the types for taxonomic names had a type locality of "Bogota" although it was uncertain where the true locality was. So today, when you see a collecting locality of "Bogota" it is relatively unlikely that the specimen was actually from the immediate vicinity of the city, but rather from somewhere in the broader area mentioned above... but possibly even further afield. As a result, the collecting locality has some uncertainty, and "Bogota skin" is a shorthand way to say this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back