• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book recommendation needed: best additional book to Collins bird guide for more in-depth information (2 Viewers)

Just received my copy of the Wild Guides 'Britain's Birds' from NHBS today - I don't think the title does it justice, this is a great in-depth photographic ID guide which covers enough species to have wider utility across much of Northern Europe. I think it will complement the Collins guide really well, it has some excellent comparisons (a random e.g. greenshank / marsh sandpiper / lesser yellowlegs); photos of juveniles / worn plumage etc. which can trip up beginners but which aren't covered well in more conventional field guides; and introductions to particular groups - e.g. larger gulls, finches. The only thing which localises it to the British Isles are the distribution maps and abundance estimates (which include numbers of British and Irish records for rarities).
Was intending to give it to my partner to help her ID skills, but tempted to keep it for myself!

Just received my copy of the Wild Guides 'Britain's Birds' from NHBS today - I don't think the title does it justice, this is a great in-depth photographic ID guide which covers enough species to have wider utility across much of Northern Europe. I think it will complement the Collins guide really well, it has some excellent comparisons (a random e.g. greenshank / marsh sandpiper / lesser yellowlegs); photos of juveniles / worn plumage etc. which can trip up beginners but which aren't covered well in more conventional field guides; and introductions to particular groups - e.g. larger gulls, finches. The only thing which localises it to the British Isles are the distribution maps and abundance estimates (which include numbers of British and Irish records for rarities).
Was intending to give it to my partner to help her ID skills, but tempted to keep it for myself!
As I noted earlier in this thread, the forthcoming "Europe's Birds' from the same team (and presumably with many of the same photos and a similar text) should be still better for use on the Continent. I'd maintain domestic harmony by giving 'Britain's Birds' to your partner as intended and buying 'Europe's Birds' for yourself!

As I noted earlier in this thread, the forthcoming "Europe's Birds' from the same team (and presumably with many of the same photos and a similar text) should be still better for use on the Continent. I'd maintain domestic harmony by giving 'Britain's Birds' to your partner as intended and buying 'Europe's Birds' for yourself!
That sounds like a good plan!

Just wanted to give a short feedback on what books I decided for.
I bought Tomasz Cofta‘s Flight Identifaction book and managed to get Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds for a reasonable price. Both look amazing.
Next on the list is a book on gulls but haven‘t decided yet on which I will buy (already received a few recommendations in a gull ID threat: Gull IDs (Düsseldorf, Germany) - help needed).
I think I will wait with buying for a while as the two books I just bought are already a lot to digest.

Just wanted to give a short feedback on what books I decided for.
I bought Tomasz Cofta‘s Flight Identifaction book and managed to get Handbook of Western Palearctic Birds for a reasonable price. Both look amazing.
Next on the list is a book on gulls but haven‘t decided yet on which I will buy (already received a few recommendations in a gull ID threat: Gull IDs (Düsseldorf, Germany) - help needed).
I think I will wait with buying for a while as the two books I just bought are already a lot to digest.
There is a new seabird guide out in June, that's the one to get.

If the sole aim of your next book purchase is identifying all gulls within a European/Western Palearctic context then waiting for the photographic guide on the group you mention (allegedly going to the printers in August so if we're lucky it might see the light of day somewhen in 2022!) is the best option. I find the Helm book on Gulls totally indigestible - like chewing cardboard - something which the new book promises to avoid. Harrison's 'Seabirds' (Lynx) will be brilliant & handsomely illustrated but I doubt that there will be enough space to go into the detail you probably need.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back