• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book Wanted "The Hen Harrier" (2 Viewers)

AnnieW said:
Is Thornton's still there ?? I remember spending a rather scary amount of money there several years back - but it looks from their web site as if the shop closed in 2002, which is a shame. Although I purchase many books via the internet (mainly using ABE), nothing beats wandering around an old shop - I find the smell intoxicating.
:smoke:

There used to be an excellent bookshop in Guildford - really old-fashioned, and it had such a lovely "feel" to it. Sadly, people seem to prefer bright, shiny shops nowadays, and this one was not in the busiest shopping area either. I was really upset when I realised it was no longer there! :eek!:

Thornton's

Sadly,Annie, but Thornton's in Broad Street closed,I think last year to concentrate on Internet sales.There was a good one near the railway-station but that one down-sized and is in High Street,near the Magdelan Bridge end.There is a pricy one at the back of Market Street,corner of Turl Street.
Blackwell's music-shop moved from Holywell Street to one of the Broad Street sites..and really sad, the Children's Bookshop shut and is incorporated into the main shop in Broad Street.There is a wonderful ramshackle,tiny shop in the Covered market which is like a bookshop from a Dickens book ! It is supposed to close at some stage as the owner wants to reply.The main Blackwells is as good as ever,still beats Waterstone's/Borders,still organising Literary Walking Tours,Inklings Tour and Alice in Wonderland tour.
Where you live sounds fantastic (cuckoo thread) I must have been close on A40 on way to Monmouth.
Mervyn

Second-hand bookshops...Gilly's idea of heaven!!! I was at Tynemouth Book Fair today and spent about £60 on twenty seven books...quite a good day! There is a book fair held there four times a year (April,June,August and October) and I save up for months in advance...any £2 coins go into a jar and they soon mount up! I went along with about £100 today but there weren't as many wildlife books about as normal...and some of them cost a lot more than I could buy them for on Abe or in charity shops! I picked up a New Naturalist on Spiders, ex-library copy for £1.50...very pleased with that one.
Didn't see any copies of the Hen Harrier book you were after but they did have a copy of The Sparrowhawk for £85!!! Ouch!!!

My husband ENCOURAGES me to buy books...I don't smoke,very rarely drink and we don't have kids so I may as well enjoy myself! I would LOVE to visit hay-On-Wye but I think i would have to swop our Ford fiesta for a people carrier or something bigger!!! Have to fit in all the books somehow!

GILL

headington7 said:
An excellent book-shop I use is Stella Books in Tintern,Monmouthshire.30,000 books in stock.Post and packing service,will search for free,very helpful.I pop in when in Tintern.
01291 689755
Fax 01291 689998
[email protected]
www.stellabooks.com

Good luck,
Mervyn.

I use this shop too via the net and try signing up for their newsletters tailored to various interests - the ornithology one for example.

No luck with Library.

Just in case anybody was thinking of trying their library for this hard to come by book (The Hen Harrier by Donald Watson - 1977) According to Leeds Central Library it does not exist in any library in the country, hard to believe but apparently true. Looks like its back to those exorbitant priced.

All the best and thanks for your replies.

Mick Baron
Leeds

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back