• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOP ID. Kiruna, N. Sweden, today ! (1 Viewer)

tarzzz

Sweden
Hello.

Hooded Crow and a Sparrowhawk ?

Thanks.

\surfan

Attachments

• IMG_5868.JPG
    IMG_5868.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5869.JPG
    IMG_5869.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5870.JPG
    IMG_5870.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5871.JPG
    IMG_5871.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5872.JPG
    IMG_5872.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5873.JPG
    IMG_5873.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5874.JPG
    IMG_5874.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5875.JPG
    IMG_5875.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5876.JPG
    IMG_5876.JPG
    564.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5877.JPG
    IMG_5877.JPG
    544.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5878.JPG
    IMG_5878.JPG
    461.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5879.JPG
    IMG_5879.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5880.JPG
    IMG_5880.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5881.JPG
    IMG_5881.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5882.JPG
    IMG_5882.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Surfan,
I agree with you, its a (pure) Hooded Crow for me, too= I cant detect any indication of Carrion Crow influnce.

The raptor is more difficult for me. I must admit, that it gave a Goshawk built impression at first, but judging by size (appearantly slightly smaller than the Hooded Crow and with such strongly contrastingly barred secondaries, this surely must be a Sparrowhawk. And the bill/head doesnt look not heavy enough for a Goshawk.

But I am surprised: it looks like the Sparrowhawk seems to attack the Crow. Not beeing mobbed by it. This is unusual for a Sparrowhawk.

Anyway I am in the Sparrowhawk camp for this one. But prepared to be corrected for this one. If yes, thanks! If confirmed, I am grateful too, you know.

Hello Surfan,
I agree with you, its a (pure) Hooded Crow for me, too= I cant detect any indication of Carrion Crow influnce.

The raptor is more difficult for me. I must admit, that it gave a Goshawk built impression at first, but judging by size (appearantly slightly smaller than the Hooded Crow and with such strongly contrastingly barred secondaries, this surely must be a Sparrowhawk. And the bill/head doesnt look not heavy enough for a Goshawk.

But I am surprised: it looks like the Sparrowhawk seems to attack the Crow. Not beeing mobbed by it. This is unusual for a Sparrowhawk.

Anyway I am in the Sparrowhawk camp for this one. But prepared to be corrected for this one. If yes, thanks! If confirmed, I am grateful too, you know.
Thanks for the answer. I thought the tail was short for Sparrowhawk, but i still think it is a Sparrowhak. Head and bill looks too "delicate" for Goshawk. They took turns, the Crow chased the hawk and than the other way around. Have seen this behavior before, almost like they are playing. An hour after this, i saw another Sparrowhawk playing the same game with a Magpie. Looked dangerous for the Magpie. The Magpie had to do an escape at last, but the hawk was after it. I don't know how it went.

Hello,
thanks for the fast answer. Playing/"friendly mobbing" behaviour with a Goshawk would be highly dangerous for a Hooded Crow (they are in the diet range for this species).

But I agree with Lee, too. Its a difficult bird still with a Goshawk jizz for me, too. I hope for more comments. Thanks!

A bulky Sparrowhawk IMO. Apart from the subtle difference in plumage and structure (Goshawk should have more faintly barred secondaries, narrower hand, larger bill, more rounded tail tip etc.) I would expect a male Goshawk to be at least the same size as the crow, whereas this bird looks slightly smaller overall.
Agree. It's an adult bird with nice barring all over the chest. An adult Goshawk would never show such bold barring on inner secondaries, inner secondaries (those touching the body) are completely unbarred in adult Goshawk.
The upper tail is visible and bold barring present there too (more unregular and framed white in Gos)
and above all, look at that tiny head, which probably means that bird is not so bulky but it's probably cold in Sweden which makes it look bigger (puffed up for insulation)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back