• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brabant Netherlands - Garden Warbler ? (1 Viewer)

Bertus

Netherlands
This morning. Same area like the Redstart in my other thread. Not very shy, repeated calling, still bit difficult to spot. Merlin identified Garden and Willow Warbler by sound at this place. I think Willow W. would be more grey, not brown like this, so I go for indeed a Garden Warbler. Is that correct? Tnx everyone

Attachments

• DSC03170 copy.JPG
    DSC03170 copy.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC03173 copy.JPG
    DSC03173 copy.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 25
Hello,

yes agree with The Fern. And please note brownish breastband, quite low. This is present in some Garden Warblers and Nightingales, but would be unusual in Willow Warbler.
And the whitish eyebrow like supercilium gives your bird a Garden Warbler vibe imo.

Both arent hard ID features, but as they are present in many Garden Warblers, they add to the jizz of this species.

In the Netherlands, in general Garden Warblers don't show themselves. They sing while hidden in a bush and when silent you don't see them. Willow Warblers are much more visible when singing. When they are searching for food, you can see them sometimes. Their habitats may look the same but Garden Warblers like a few trees, for Willow Warblers bushes are enough.

Garden Warblers are brown. Willow Warblers may look green, yellow or light-brown dependent on the leaves, the light and the date.

Your bird behaves differently, it is not hidden, that may happen when there are rivals nearby and/or when he hasn't found a female yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back