• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Britain 'may face sudden Ice Age' (2 Viewers)

Michael - what about the species of grain that is grown in Alaska? We have manipulated species so much in the last century that our Canola (cool crop) can resist a very potent herbicide (glyphosate). There is always some species we could substitute - corn as an example - hot and long growing season. Here in the North we can harvest young cattails and cook them up, slather in butter and salt and voila a corn substitute.

Regarding the heat deaths in France. I just find the number of deaths so senseless. I guess they just did not know how to cope with the heat - plenty of fluids, wet clothes on your body, soaking in water, spending all day in a air conditioned shopping mall :) LOL. How long was the heatwave? Over what time period were there 3,000 deaths?

Hi Eve,

I know there are oat and barley varieties that can be grown - with low yields - in the Orkney Islands north of Scotland. If the worst comes, I'd guess these could still be grown in southeastern England, but not enough to feed more than a few million (rather than our current 60 million) people.

There's plenty in France asking exactly the same questions, the last I heard, the French Health Minister was under some pressure to resign (or be sacked), but it isn't big news any more so (as usual with news bulletins!!) I never heard the outcome - I'd need to find (and be able to read!) a French news website for more info. The additional deaths above normal death rates were over I think it was about 10 days or so.

Michael

Having said that - it just came up on the 6pm news.

French undertakers have now calculated the excess death toll during the heatwave as 10,400 minimum. The French Chief Medical Officer has already resigned, and the Minister of Health has been instructed to explain himself at the next cabinet meeting (that's politico-speak for offer his resignation, or be sacked) on Thursday.

Seems a major contribution to the high death toll was the national holidays - all the hospitals were under-staffed with nurses & doctors on holiday, and also (worse) many families going on holiday leaving elderly relatives at home, alone and unattended.

Michael

Hey if we cant take care of ourselves so be it we will join the dinosaurs, and its the cockroaches turn next.

Till then lets keep getting the message across and hope we all listen and learn.

If the sea temperature drops significantly can't we expect much better fishing opportunities. So long as we can get spuds to make chips with we should be fine.

Spud

Think of it this way>>If most of the population dies (hopefully the stupid wasteful ones) then there will be less pollution,overcrowding,destruction etc

I think we mistakenly tend to think of our way of life as being more or less permanent. That may be the case during our lifetime, and perhaps even during our childrens lifetime, but history has shown that things will change. We are not the first civilisation on earth, and we will not be the last, and I'm not just talking about technology changing our lives.

The Earth is not static, it is a constantly changing place. It does not remain the same to suit the whereabouts of our major cities. Snowdon was once a Volcano, but is now dead. Eventually the fault line might (probably will) move back our way. Every few thousand years there is an Iceage, with ice up to a mile deep over parts of Britain, Northern Europe and North America which are now heavily populated. The Iceage will come again - we can't stop it. Cities will be flattened, and all those buildings we "saved for ever, for future generations", will be rubble. Millions of us will have to move or die, and when we get to that stage, money won't save you. The poor won't sit here and die while the rich go to the med.

Our civilisations and large populations have grown over a very short period of time, probably too fast. Can we react to massive changes in the environment? How will the Spanish or Greeks feel about 100's of Millions moving into their country from Northern Europe (permanently). Sounds like a future war brewing to me.

Of course under normal circumstances it might take 1000's of years for these events to happen, so we could adapt, and it probably wouldn't be the doomsday scenario I have described. Unless we cock it all up and cause it happen artificially early.......

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back