• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broad-tailed or Bumblebee Hummingbird Mexico (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify this hummingbird? I think it maybe a Broad-tailed or Bumblebee Hummingbird. Taken near San Mateo Rio Hondo lodge Mexico in Jan.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• CAT00469-df.jpg
    CAT00469-df.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • CAT00471-df.jpg
    CAT00471-df.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • CAT00478-d.jpg
    CAT00478-d.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • CAT00481-d.jpg
    CAT00481-d.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
I'm not sure where in Mexico this location is, but the gorget color (more orange than red/purple) and strong rufous wash to flanks suggest either Rufous or Allen's as the likely candidate.

Chris

I can't see any sign of rufous feathers in the rump, and the feeding posture and Bill length don't look right for Bumblebee. I would think Broad-tailed is a reasonable call.

Thanks Chris, but Rufous and Allen's have rufous on the tail. These do not.
Well, these images are a bit blurry, but it looks like there is rufous evident in the two images where the tail is slightly spread (at least rectrices 4 and 5). Also, neither Bumblebee nor Broad-tailed have orange colored gorget feathers. Broad-tailed typically has paler feathering around the eye and less intense rufous along the flanks.

Chris

Attachments

• tail shot.jpg
    tail shot.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 2
Well, these images are a bit blurry, but it looks like there is rufous evident in the two images where the tail is slightly spread (at least rectrices 4 and 5). Also, neither Bumblebee nor Broad-tailed have orange colored gorget feathers. Broad-tailed typically has paler feathering around the eye and less intense rufous along the flanks.

Chris
Rufous in the outer tail feathers is right for Broad-tailed, isn't it? As far as I can see there are no rufous feathers in the rump or upper tail coverts. Good possibility I'm wrong here: I'm hopeless with hummers.

Thanks DMW and Niels. is that immature male Broad-tailed?
I was trying to go that route as a way to help with the id. I have the Howell and Webb book which shows immature male Rufous with an almost completely rufous tail. However, if that is relevant depends on two things: is this supported by other data? and are we even looking at an immature male? Could we be looking at a female with some gorget feathers as sometimes is seen in some hummers?
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back