• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown-crowned Tchagra Camillion Bush Lodge South Africa Oct 10 (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please confirm this to be a Brown-crowned Tchagra? Taken at Camillion Bush Lodge South Africa Oct. Sorry about pic quality. Only shot.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• CAT01663-D.jpg
    CAT01663-D.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 34
I guess you mean Chameleon Bush Lodge, just N of Pretoria?
If so, it's either black-crowned tchagra or brown-crowned tchagra - I'm not sure they're separable in this view.

I guess you mean Chameleon Bush Lodge, just N of Pretoria?
If so, it's either black-crowned tchagra or brown-crowned tchagra - I'm not sure they're separable in this view.
Agreed, cannot make out enough of the crown to separate them.

I don't see either a brown crown or a black border because there seems to be a thin wrinkly leaf/twig/something obscuring everything above the supercilium.
Not in my interpretation. That leaf is the crown. You have a small green twiglet going from top right to bottom left and it springs from a larger darker twig which runs top left to bottom right. The flat part in the middle is the crown

Edit: the part above the obvious beak on the right is a highlight which makes it seem as if there's (another?) leaf there. But there isn't: it's the crown and the beak of the bird

Yes, agreed that the top (dark) edge of the crown is visible - but it's so narrow that any colour in it is unreliable (certainly the difference between black and brown) and there's no room at all to differentiate a black border (indeed, so narrow that if there was a black border then the border is all that could be visible).
If the OP has any other photos, even of poor quality, it might help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back