• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

brown snake ID type Aust please (1 Viewer)

6eor6e

Hi I was hoping if someone could ID thisen I took photo with telephoto lens on, no time to change hand held auto mode pretty steady considering i was his a body length away about six foot. Thanks in advance to all replies and any comments.
Regards George

Attachments

• sunningsnake.JPG
    sunningsnake.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Can't go down to species for you George but it looks a fairly serious elaphid - not one to stroke!

If I had to guess maybe King brown or Western brown?

I agree that it's an elapid and that the telephoto lens was a bl**dy good idea! Was it in the Mackay area? I would guess Eastern Brown or King Brown (Mulga). I will dig out my books later.

Last edited:
Tiapan

Thanks for comments all
I didn't think taipan as we have had one of those and the best I could say is that taipan was a creamy soft brown to nearly yellow and a lot slimmer snake than this but don't know that much about them? :egghead: Location eastern Australia, Queensland, south of Mackay, 1 KLM from coast next door to a small Lake heaps of birdlife :t: I do have more pics if you want?
PS telephoto lens was just the way things worked out but was concerned about no tripod. But for me I was happy with outcome
Thanks again B :)

Attachments

• websnake.jpg
    websnake.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 93
From the second photo I still reckon E. Brown although I am no expert. Visited Mackay several years ago and thought Eungella NP was a magical place. Saw my first ever Platypus there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back