• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Thrasher? In Northern California (1 Viewer)

Saw a thrush-like bird in my backyard today (Sep. 25) but it seemed bigger and had a longer beak.

It looked a lot like the brown thrashers that nested near my home in Virginia but I didn't think they came out here to California...

I live in the Northernmost county of California about 30 minutes from the Oregon border near Interstate 5
It was hopping on the ground before flying away.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• _MG_9126(1).JPG
    _MG_9126(1).JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_9127(1).JPG
    _MG_9127(1).JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_9128(1).JPG
    _MG_9128(1).JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_9129(1).JPG
    _MG_9129(1).JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 41
I never thought of Brown Thrasher and Sage Thrasher as looking very similar before, but I can see your confusion given these photos. I think this is actually a Sage Thrasher based on the overall color - less richly red-brown than Brown Thrasher, and bill length - somewhat shorter than Brown Thrasher. Sage Thrasher would also be munch more likely at that location.

I can't see this as a sage thrasher.
The photos have very low color quality (no offense), but I think the proportions and feel of the bird scream Brown Thrasher.

I've attached an (over) saturated copy of the back, which shows very rich (reddish) brown._MG_9128(1).JPG.jpg

It looks better for Brown Thrasher to me. The bill size is quite large to be Sage Thrasher, and I think its large enough to be pretty confident that it is not variation. Comparing photos of birds of both species in the same position, it is at least clear to me that the bill size of this bird looks normal for Brown Thrasher and atypical for Sage Thrasher. Additionally, the streaks of Sage Thrasher are usually denser, and more prominent in the center of the belly, whereas it is normal for Brown Thrasher streaks to diverge towards the flanks and become sparse around the belly, like this bird. The rufous tones noted by Indobirder are also a consideration for Brown Thrasher. Aside from how rare they are, I think this bird strongly favors Brown Thrasher>Sage Thrasher.

Here are a few references I used: Brown Thrasher ; Sage Thrasher

Last edited:
I am still uncertain, but agree it could well be a Brown Thrasher. I think I recall at least one Brown Thrasher has been seen in northern-most California recently.

This is a Brown Thrasher, and this is the time of year when they show up in California, though always pretty rare. A really nice bird for Siskiyou County, a second county record.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back