• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BTX - fixed focus - how good for non-distant use? (2 Viewers)

I’m looking at the BTX with the 85mm objective but I started to wonder how good it’d be looking at birds (say) 50 feet away? Will I be able to see the veins in its eyes but not the whole bird? The ATX and STX have variable magnification but not the BTX (30x). Obviously I’m going to look at these before I buy but didn’t want to turn up sounding like a complete moron (I don’t Mike appearing like a moron here!😊).
I have some Zeiss 10x bins which I love and use all the time - do people usually take scope and bins?

thanks

The BTX gives comfortable, wide two eyed views for looking further and more detail beyond binoculars. 30x is a decent general purpose power for observing, they do sell a 1.7x unit to allow you to push things if the conditions allow. Used closer up (don’t know what the close focus is) you will see fine detail. Normal binoculars are good for finding out what’s around, that a scope can then give you more detail on.

Peter

The BTX will be useful right from the minimum focusing distance - with the caveat that a 30x zoom can be hard to handle if something is close and moving around quickly. The sighting aid is helpful in terms of getting quickly onto the target.

I have found the BTX transformational and would never go back to a scope with a single eyepiece. I cannot recommend it enough. It really surprises me that no other major manufacturer has produced something similar.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back