• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bucket list Recommendations required ! (1 Viewer)

shrek48

Again, hope this is in the correct section!
Being disabled with limited walking ability I would like to make a list of "must go to" WWT / RSPB or ??? sites. I love nothing more than sitting in a hide with a flask of coffee and taking pictures of the birds, especially smaller birds and waders etc ! Never seen Fire crest or a redwing, Bearded tit. Would love to get a picture of a bittern & a puffin. Just to give you an idea! I have been lucky and traveeled Asia a lot and got many pictures that I truly love and cherrish.
I am based in the UK, Wales but I am hoping this year and next to make mid-week getaways to such sites and maybe B&B / hotel for a night or two and make the most of the site / area!
I will be starting with Llaneli (near me and Newport wetlands! then would really love to make a bucket list of "must see" places, so your imput would be awesome as you will know some trully awesome places to go to!
TIA .

Hi Shrek. RSPB Dinas is stunning in Spring. Thereโ€™s steps on the boardwalk though so not sure if that would rule it out?

Titchwell is amazing but slightly closer would be the Somerset levels. Westhay and Ham Wall are well worth a visit.

Rich

Not sure how possible it would be for you (gentle slope on sand) but there is currently a bittern at kenfig that shows if you give it time

The London Wetland Centre meets all your mobility requirements. In winter it is a good site for Bitterns and, usually, Redwings, and much more besides.

Not sure how possible it would be for you (gentle slope on sand) but there is currently a bittern at kenfig that shows if you give it time
Went yesterday 08-02-2023, managed the walk,(took ages) but did it and loved sitting in the hide with my flask of coffee, tufted, Golden eye and a few other bits, sadly no Bittern yesterday ;-) will defo go back a few times, thanks for the tip!

I saw it early January. At some point it will probably decamp back to Somerset for breeding season but like you say itโ€™s a lovely place to sit and thereโ€™s always something to see

Burton Mere on the Welsh border is possible, flat paths with (I believe) the ability to hire a mobility scooter. 4 hides, which can give excellent views of most waders, best in Autumn, Avocets breed in Summer. In winter, Bittern is possible at Parkgate coming in to roost at dusk, no walking required.

Now also booked the mobility scooter for Monday at Llenlli WWT site so I can scout about, see if the nearest hides to the car park are accessible for my walking (lack of) ability.
Found out that if I like the place and join, my entry fee that day will be used as part of my annual fee! how awesome!

Now also booked the mobility scooter for Monday at Llenlli WWT site so I can scout about, see if the nearest hides to the car park are accessible for my walking (lack of) ability.
Found out that if I like the place and join, my entry fee that day will be used as part of my annual fee! how awesome!
Kidwelly has a Firecrest by the sewage works entrance at the moment. And the Megansers often swim right up to the Quay where you can park.

RSPB Pulborough Brooks and Arundel WWT are my local sites. Theyโ€™re pretty close to each other, and fully wheelchair accessible. I have fond memories of pushing my grandfatherโ€™s wheelchair around Arundel. They have a great garden birds hide, reed walk, and a strange camera obscura thing in the middle of the wetlands (currently non-functional). Pulborough is a more serious birding spot, with a great optics store, and last time I went there I saw two sea eagles (in the sky, not in the shop ๐Ÿ˜‰).

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back