• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buff-breasted Earthcreeper (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Areta & Pearman (in press). Species limits and clinal variation in a widespread Andean furnariid: the Buff-breasted Earthcreeper (Upucerthia validirostris). Condor. [abstract]

Proposes lumping Plain-breasted Earthcreeper U (v) jelskii (recognised as a distinct species by AOU, HBW, Ridgely & Tudor 2009, H&M3, IOC, BirdLife, Clements).

Remsen 2003 (HBW 8):
AOU-SACC:
Although Upucerthia jelskii is considered separate species from U. validirostris in most recent classifications (e.g., Meyer de Schauensee 1970, Ridgely & Tudor 1994), evidence for their treatment as such is weak (Remsen 2003), and perhaps a return to earlier classifications that treated them as conspecific (e.g., Cory & Hellmayr 1925, Peters 1951) is warranted. They form a superspecies (Sibley & Monroe 1990). A report of sympatry in southern Bolivia (Cabot 1990) is based on a misidentification (Remsen 2003). Genetic data (Chesser et al. 2007, Fjeldså et al. 2007) confirm that they are sister taxa but weakly differentiated (Derryberry et al. 2011). Areta and Pearman (2009) found no differences in their voices. proposal needed?
A Christmas armchair untick... :-C

Last edited:
SACC proposal

AOU-SACC Proposal #572 (Areta & Pearman, Mar 2013): Merge Upucerthia validirostris and U. jelskii into a single species.
Proposal passed, 22 Nov 2013: RECENT CHANGES.

Van Remsen, 22 Nov 2013:
... I'll do a quick follow-up proposal on English names. i.e. whether to coin a new name for the composite species or use Buff-breasted Earthcreeper, the name use for the narrowly defined validirostris but also earlier for the broadly defined version.

Last edited:
I disagree with his lean, I would strongly recommend a different name even if a new one has to be invented.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back