• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buffalo kills man - Wales (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Are they used for meat, milk?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52552766

I had an interesting experince with one in Nepal. We were passing through a village and at a small narrowing, we had to pass an adult and a calf. The adult appeared lame, my mate slipped past but as I tried to do the same, the youngster continually attacked me, forcing me to flee up a small hillside behind a building where it couldn't follow. I got past eventually by throwing rocks at it but wouldn't have liked to be caught out in the open by it, I presume it was trying to defend the parent?

Heres a shot of me with a friendlier one in the Philippines. B :)

Attachments

• Not a natural at this!.jpg
    Not a natural at this!.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 103
That strikes me as very unusual. Domestic buffalo have the reputation of being less temperamental than cattle. Although there are always farm casualties with cattle, I think they are more usually the small dairy breeds, like Jerseys. Very back luck

They are also used for conservation grazing in some wetland sites, believe Suffolk WT uses them & possibly others.

Last edited:
Thanks all, didn't realise they were grazed for conservation, good idea, suitable animal you'd think where they can't use sheep.

The photo at the link btw, must be Australia, they look like Magpie Geese in the background?

Last edited:
There are (too many!) Water Buffalo at my local patch where they are meant to manage the grassland. They also manage to trample all Lapwing nests, unfortunately. I still hope they'll attract a Cattle Egret some day.
They are generally docile, but can become very aggressive when they have young calves. I have seen the farmer run for his tractor when he had planned on earmarking one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back