• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bunting (?) in iran (1 Viewer)

Hello,

as you know I stay away from regions where I never have been, but
Or do look Reed Buntings different to the ones in Europe? You know this is a serious question and my main reason for commenting: Please look for Yellowhammers and take pictures Richard! Thanks!

Hello,

as you know I stay away from regions where I never have been, but
Or do look Reed Buntings different to the ones in Europe? You know this is a serious question and my main reason for commenting: Please look for Yellowhammers and take pictures Richard! Thanks!
haha Alexander, after just one or two recently the snow here last night brought around 20 Yellowhammer today, I will start snapping....
The bill indeed looks odd for a Reed Bunting so I await more informed opinions!

is black-faced not a pretty good option?

(typing with wrong hand due to cat on lap)
Agreed, looks good for a black faced bunting.

Here's an image from ebird-https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/508117231

Lower mandible mostly pinkish, yellowish breast and underside, upper breast to throat has faint smudged streaking and faint streaking also on flanks, yellow supercilium and malar, ear covert also fits- being more dark than that of a juvenile/female reed bunting.

Last edited:
Agreed, looks good for a black faced bunting.

Here's an image from ebird-https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/508117231

Lower mandible mostly pinkish, yellowish breast and underside, upper breast to throat has faint smudged streaking and faint streaking also on flanks, yellow supercilium and malar, ear covert also fits- being more dark than that of a juvenile/female reed bunting.
Never-mind- this was made irrelevant, didn't read the title- black faced buntings don't have range in Western Asia. So I would probably go with yellowhammer. Does strangely fit for a BF bunting though.

Black-face Bunting was recorded in Israel on February 2023:

I think this bird is an immature female Black-faced Bunting,

Out of curiosity, is there any webiste for Iranian Rare Birds Committee with the checklist (I also think at least one of BF members serves on the committee)?

EDIT: This list seems up to date: List of birds of Iran - Wikipedia, and there's also the one by Avibase (though their page is down now, I think), but, still, a website would have more than just the checklist.

EDIT: BTW, there are two Bushehr's in southern Iran: Bushehr - Wikipedia and Buchir - Wikipedia.

Last edited:
For the reasons I gave before I've changed my opinion- I also agree with black faced bunting. Vagrancy occurs, shouldn't have dismissed it so quickly based on range, I believe we've had records of black faced buntings in the UK.

Text from before- 'Here's an image from ebird-https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/508117231
Lower mandible mostly pinkish, yellowish breast and underside, upper breast to throat has faint smudged streaking and faint streaking also on flanks, yellow supercilium and malar, ear covert also fits- being more dark than that of a juvenile/female reed bunting.'

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, is there any webiste for Iranian Rare Birds Committee with the checklist (I also think at least one of BF members serves on the committee)?

EDIT: This list seems up to date: List of birds of Iran - Wikipedia, and there's also the one by Avibase (though their page is down now, I think), but, still, a website would have more than just the checklist.

EDIT: BTW, there are two Bushehr's in southern Iran: Bushehr - Wikipedia and Buchir - Wikipedia.
The List of Birds of Iran is changing because many new records have been added to this list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back