• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard or Female Hen Harrier (1 Viewer)

MattG

United Kingdom
Hi all, I was near South Molton lunch time today and saw what I thought was a Buzzard but as it flew from its perch in the tree it had a very distinctive white rump. On further research it could of been a Female Hen Harrier but as they are rare and the habitat wasn't quite right as it was over a farmers field not heathland I'm a little confused, any thoughts on the distinctive white rump?
Unfortunately I didnt get a good view on the face or see it flying to look at the wings as it went down behind the hedge. Thanks.
Matt

Thanks paddyluke, great photos. Probably a Buzzard then but I have never noticed the white rump on the buzzard before.
Maybe a juvenile?

Last edited:
Thanks paddyluke, great photos. Probably a Buzzard then but I have never noticed the white rump on the buzzard before.
Maybe a juvenile?
It's rare, a few years ago, when counting migrants, we saw 200 Buzzards in the morning, only 5 of them had a completely white rump and uppertail. From a distance and from above they looked like Rough-legged Buzzards and we had to use a scope for the identification. There were at least 20 with (some) light rump/tail feathers but that's quite normal for Buzzards. These were migrants from Scandinavia and Germany, and it was one (exceptional) morning in the Netherlands, there are small differences in plumage between regions, so it's not representative for Western-Europa but it gives an idea.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back