• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzards, Armenia (1 Viewer)

Val35

Hi, I photographed these two in Armenia (Mt.Aragats slopes) in September. I believe they are both rufous morph Steppe Buzzards (absence of black carpal patch on the flying one) and "delicate" appearance for the perched one) I definitely saw some Long Legged and Steppe there but not 100% sure about these...Any thoughts ?
Thanks !

buse.JPGDSCN7514.JPG

I've fairly limited experience with eastern Long-legged (only seen one I found in Poland) and Steppe buzzard, but the thick trailing edge to the remiges, lack of dark carpal and belly, combined with the compact appearance suggests vulpinus over rufinus to me, but perhaps await confirmation from others with more extensive field experience.

I've fairly limited experience with eastern Long-legged (only seen one I found in Poland) and Steppe buzzard, but the thick trailing edge to the remiges, lack of dark carpal and belly, combined with the compact appearance suggests vulpinus over rufinus to me, but perhaps await confirmation from others with more extensive field experience.

Yes, I think you're right, this was my first impression too ;)

to me, both birds look like Long-legged Buzzards. Perched one - too gingery tones in coverts and not contrasting enough (but this is merely a gut feeling), and for the flying bird: lack of any tail band (at least a thin one in vulpinus).

Last edited:
to me, both birds look like Long-legged Buzzards. Perched one - too gingery tones in coverts and not contrasting enough (but this is merely a gut feeling), and for the flying bird: lack of any tail band (at least a thin one in vulpinus).
To me the build of both birds is too delicate for LLB...

Keep in mind that there is also the locally breeding subspecies Buteo buteo menetriesi in Armenia...
I wasn't aware of this ssp. ! This might explain it, yes...Do they migrate ? The flying bird was seen along with about 200 Steppe Buzzards migrating South and headed the same way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back