• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzards (3 Viewers)

Bluetail said:
Judging by what the late Chris Mead once told me, it would only take small ones as the Buzzard is too light a bird to cope with a full-grown cat.

Hi Jason,
Yes I agree the max weight for a female buteo is approx 3lbs.One of my buteos Lady has when out attacked Buttercups, cowpats, grabbed crane flies and even taken on the odd seagull in her varied past but now at 44 she has retired and become just a grumpy old lady.

Suricate

scampo said:
Hello Anthony

I expect it would - but I suppose few animals do, knowingly.

PS How're the eyes, Anthony? Fully recovered, I hope.

Hi scampo,

I've only had the operation on my left eye so far but the improvement in my vision is nothing short of miraculous. I'm scheduled for the other one to be done at the beginning of December, which again involves an incision in the eyeball itself through which the cataract is liquidised and 'slurped' out. The dodgy lens is then removed and replaced with a permanent one made of plastic which is fitted inside the eye.

It sounds a lot worse than it is but it's really worth it. Thanks for asking!

Anthony

Anthony Morton said:
Hi scampo,

I've only had the operation on my left eye so far but the improvement in my vision is nothing short of miraculous. I'm scheduled for the other one to be done at the beginning of December, which again involves an incision in the eyeball itself through which the cataract is liquidised and 'slurped' out. The dodgy lens is then removed and replaced with a permanent one made of plastic which is fitted inside the eye.

It sounds a lot worse than it is but it's really worth it. Thanks for asking!

Anthony
Something of a Christmas present, Anthony and definitely better than "two front teeth", eh - as we used to sing? I thought the other eye was to have been done by now - that's why I asked. Hope all goes well.

Hi me,

Many thanks for the good wishes - bino vision will be great but even mono beats a complete discoloured blur. Better still, I don't have to keep asking my good lady what bird it is on the trellis only 20 feet away anymore! B :)

Hi scampo,

Blimey, you're certainly going back a bit with 'two front teeth' - you'll be on 'How much is that doggy in the window?'' next! B :)

Anthony Morton said:
Hi scampo,

Blimey, you're certainly going back a bit with 'two front teeth' - you'll be on 'How much is that doggy in the window?'' next! B :)
You're right. My old mum used to sing it to us. I was reading about old expressions the other day (being an English teacher...). One cropped up that I'd forgotten - "Beatniks". How about that?

scampo said:
You're right. My old mum used to sing it to us. I was reading about old expressions the other day (being an English teacher...). One cropped up that I'd forgotten - "Beatniks". How about that?
Now you are going back ,Steve,I found one of my old kaftans in the loft last week,brought back a whole host of memories.

christineredgate said:
Now you are going back, Steve. I found one of my old kaftans in the loft last week, brought back a whole host of memories.
Ah - I was too inhibited and born a bit too late to have been a hippy, Christine. What did you get up to in that kaftan...?

Rob Williams said:
I've seen them feeding in the grass next to French motorways frequently. In fact they are very common along the motorways, sitting on the fence poles. The way they drop off the poles after food I have presumed it was live. They always enliven my holiday journeys.
Rob
Getting back on track....

Why is it that I usually see more birds of prey along the motorways in Europe than I do here? I can feel a new thread coming on....

About the Buzzard thing!
Did this programme suggest the Foxes / Buzzard were in Broadland? If so, I'd love to know where! Buzzards are still pretty scarce here: more common the further West you go!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back