• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calliope vs. Broad-tailed Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

Nickk

I think the wingtips extend beyond tail but can't tell for sure. Photo taken at Grand Teton NP, Wyoming US

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Capture6.JPG
    Capture6.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 26
I am not 100% sure but I think that those buffy flanks usually are a good indicator of Broad-tailed. It does not jump out as a Calliope to me, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I shouldn’t have made my original comment. I can’t offer a good suggestion for ID here. Without seeing the wing length or seeing the bird in the field for a size assessment, it’s a very hard ID. I will have to take a closer look to make a better guess later.

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure but I think that those buffy flanks usually are a good indicator of Broad-tailed. It does not jump out as a Calliope to me, but I could be wrong.

Edit: I shouldn’t have made my original comment. I can’t offer a good suggestion for ID here. Without seeing the wing length or seeing the bird in the field for a size assessment, it’s a very hard ID. I will have to take a closer look to make a better guess later.
Hi Tom - the hummer did not seem that small to me but Calliope's would be a lifer and there were no other hummingbirds around for size comparison... Looking at the pics I thought the left wingtips are way below the tip of the tail but then again they could be tail feathers?

Calliope can have buffy flanks too, although it's often fainter than the other species. Both Calliope and broad-tailed have the "clean spotted" throat, and a fairly equivalent bill length. This is a tough view, I never thought I'd confuse these two species. The tail pattern could solve it if we could see the other side...

Fall Befuddlers: Broad-tailed, Rufous/Allen’s, and Calliope – Sheri L. Williamson
This may be helpful- from Sheri Williamson who authored Hummingbirds of North America (Peterson Field Guides)>

I struggle with these two species as well at times. The tail length (which I'm not able to see well in your photos) can be useful. According to Sheri, Broad-tailed has a very long tail and Calliope has a short, spatulate tail. She also mentions that the undertail coverts of female Calliope should be washed with pale cinnamon while Broad-tailed should be washed with white.

I have a lot of photos where I scratch my head, even with pointers like the ones I mentioned.

From any other angle you can usually tell on the proportions. It's just that you can't see if this is a "long" or "short" bird and the fact it's perched in a puffed up rested way means the angle is even more difficult to use here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back