• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone help with I.D on this possible Wilson’s Snipe on St Mary’s yesterday. (2 Viewers)

Could you give the date, please? Thanks.
I think you should start by giving your reasons.
Hi Butty
It’s from yesterday, just thought I’d post it and see what people think. I did get a video of it flying but unfortunately it was too fast to catch the underwings even in slow motion. Other birders in the hide seem to think it’s a very good candidate, hopefully it’s around today and someone can get it’s underwings and tail feathers.

Sorry I was asking for help to I.D it, I have now changed the title. The shots above where taken yesterday by photographer James Sellen, the guys in the hide mentioned that it looks more monochromatic than Common Snipe.

It does look a little darker than the average Common Snipe. Hard to see much of the tail but from what you can see it looks like it may have stronger, more defined barring.

It does look a little darker than the average Common Snipe. Hard to see much of the tail but from what you can see it looks like it may have stronger, more defined barring.
It does and when it was standing next to a Common it’s obviously different, typically it’s nowhere to be seen today.

But the question is could it be still in the range of common snipe. even if darker than average ?
Common also has quite some variation ...

That said , I don´t have the experience with Wilsons to really judge this !
Hi Joern,
One of the guys on the St Mary's seems to think its a Common Snipe, been told he is very good with Wilson's Snipe I.D

Yes, I had high hopes of it back then, but it just didn’t make the cut when wing and tail features were seen.
Just found a Snipe with it in another video it’s does seem a lot darker, still will never now without wing shots. I did capture it taking of twice it was way to fast to descope, they take of like superman 😂

Attachments

• IMG_5074.jpeg
    IMG_5074.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back