• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can bird feeders attract snakes? (1 Viewer)

tld510

Hello All,

I have what I believe to be a Black Rat Snake hanging out today by my deck. I live in a condo building; have lived here for 17 years, have always had a bird feeder on my balcony, and have never seen a snake until today (this is a big snake, not a little garden snake). I realize they are not poisonous, but would like him to go! My question is: is my bird feeder attracting this snake? I keep the area very clean and have never had any mice, rodents, etc... (I am on the 3rd floor). If he doesn't leave, I'm thinking I should take my feeder down, which I don't want to do. I've been feeding the birds for so long now, would it have any affect on them if I stopped feeding them? I know with it being Spring/Summer they can fend for themselves better. I'm just at a lose right now with this snake. I don't want my neighbors to see the snake, and associate it being there with my bird feeder :-( and then start to complain.

Any tips/info anybody has would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(p.s. when I first noticed the snake this morning, it had a huge bird in it's mouth. Not any type of bird I have ever seen at my feeder. I usually only have little finches, occasional cardinal, doves. This bird was fairly big and black/purple in color - I kinda thought once he was done eating it he would leave the area, but he is still hanging out)

Hi tld510,
Rat snakes are pretty capable predators and will certainly eat birds if they can catch them, which mostly happens to nesting birds. It may be that it had caught a grackle when you saw it, judging by your description.
The snake is certainly not attracted by the feeder, but if you are concerned, a feeding hiatus during the summer is no hardship for your birds. Nature serves a banquet all around for them at this time of the year.
I am a little surprised that the snake is hanging around 3 floors up. Rat snakes are normally ground dwellers, even though they are excellent tree climbers and are well known for their ability to get into and clean out nestboxes on poles or fences.
Maybe it is digesting the big bird it just ate. If so, it may be a couple of days before it moves out.

It is odd to find a snake three stories up...But with myself having a snake as a pet. Then I must say...that indeed if he's eaten. He needs to allow his body to digest. So he'll be laying out doing just that.

It maybe a fluke that he's there...I wouldn't overly worry. And chalk this up to an unusual occurance...I wouldn't worry about taking your feeder down. Unless he's made himself a comfy spot on several occassions. I would see what next week brings...You may never see him again.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back