• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can somebody id these ladybirds please South Yorkshire on rough grassland thus weekend. (1 Viewer)

Andy Lakin

20240506_113903.jpgAre these all the same species? Obviously I can see that they look different but am unaware of the range of variability.Do Ladybirds ever hybridise?
Thanks
Andy

So although most Ladybird species are very consistent in their colour patterns, with just one or two varieties, there is one species, Harlequin Ladybird, that is tremendously variable. This recent introduction is our largest species, and many varieties have a distinctive W shaped mark on the thorax. The lower 2 in your photo show this. The third individual looks the same size, whereas if it had been a 2 spot would have been considerably smaller. 3 Harlequins, and presumably 2 males trying to dislodge each other for mating rights.

So although most Ladybird species are very consistent in their colour patterns, with just one or two varieties, there is one species, Harlequin Ladybird, that is tremendously variable. This recent introduction is our largest species, and many varieties have a distinctive W shaped mark on the thorax. The lower 2 in your photo show this. The third individual looks the same size, whereas if it had been a 2 spot would have been considerably smaller. 3 Harlequins, and presumably 2 males trying to dislodge each other for mating rights.
Thanks for the reply. I did consider Harlequin but wrongly assumed that they were noticeably bigger. Thanks for the id pointers, there were quite a few ladybirds in that small area, I will have to have a closer look the next time I'm up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back