• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you do casual birding in China? RFI (1 Viewer)

lockbreeze926

Scotland
I will be on an organised tourist trip (non-birding) to China in April and I wonder how feasible it would be to do some casual birding there when there were no other activities planned?

I understand that these are huge cities and transport arrangements could be difficult, so city parks and botanical gardens are likely to be good options.

Locations with down time would be –

• Beijing
  • Xi’an
  • Guilin
  • Shanghai

It should be fairly easy to do casual birding in cities and parks are likely to be quite accessible by public transport. In April, it should be good for migrants, which will make it more interesting. A lot passes through eastern China. Ebird is somewhat widely used in China, so it may be worth checking for sites and records there. I've been birding on my own at the Olympic Forest Park in Beijing and it's a good area that's easy to reach by metro. The Ebird bar charts give a good idea of what you might find there:

Last edited:
Not sure where in Shanghai you'll be, but I've birded in a couple parks. My usual go to was Century Park on the PuDong side because it was near our usual hotel. If I had more time I'd go to Gongqing Forest Park, but it takes more effort to get to.

In Beijing, I agree that Olympic Forest Park is good. The Botanical Garden in Beijing is also good, especially if you go up the mountain at the far end of the park.

Just a warning - any park in China is going to be packed on a weekend.

It should be fairly easy to do casual birding in cities and parks are likely to be quite accessible by public transport. In April, it should be good for migrants, which will make it more interesting. A lot passes through eastern China. Ebird is somewhat widely used in China, so it may be worth checking for sites and records there. I've been birding on my own at the Olympic Forest Park in Beijing and it's a good area that's easy to reach by metro. The Ebird bar charts give a good idea of what you might find there:
Just a quick note of caution, when I was there last (2016) eBird was difficult to use properly as there was no access to Google services especially G.Maps and Gmail, I missed a return flight from Chengdu to Singapore as it was cancelled and didn't receive the warning-alert message on my Gmail account. Spent all night trying to get another-flight back to Oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back