• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada goose (1 Viewer)

DAWNW

United Kingdom
Hello, I live in Yorkshire and have had a lone Canada goose (called Gary!) on my land (we have three ponds) for around three years. He just turned up one day and never left, he used to waddle down to the house for some seed and either waddle back to the pond or fly low to get back. Quite a character who I grew very fond of. I saw him Saturday morning but haven't seen him since, gone without trace, I'm devastated as I just want to know what's happened to him . Do you think a fox could have taken him or is there a chance he has just decided to leave for pastures new in which case I would be happy for him as I know geese are normally flock birds.

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sorry, can’t help with your question.

Hello Dawn and welcome to the forum, enjoy and all the best. Fingers crossed and hope he returns shortly.

Welcome aboard Dawn!
I don't know what the weather is on your side of the pond but perhaps it was looking for a warmer area?

Welcome aboard Dawn!
I don't know what the weather is on your side of the pond but perhaps it was looking for a warmer area?
Thank you. I live in the UK and it has been quite mild, although the first frost this morning. What is worrying me is he has stayed through other winters, never ventured anywhere. I just wish I knew he was safe and well. There has been no sign of feathers etc to say a predator has had him and I'm guessing a goose his size would have put up a fight!

Thank you. I live in the UK and it has been quite mild, although the first frost this morning. What is worrying me is he has stayed through other winters, never ventured anywhere. I just wish I knew he was safe and well. There has been no sign of feathers etc to say a predator has had him and I'm guessing a goose his size would have put up a fight!
Crossing my fingers, you will get your goose back this spring.
Here in NYC, we have many (hundreds) Canada geese taking a rest stop on the old reservoir in Central Park.
They will head south when (if) it gets colder, but just fly over us in spring to their summer breeding grounds.
Your bird seems to have felt the migration urge, no idea where it will wind up, but they are pretty good on returning.
Please keep us posted and have a wonderful New Year!

Thank you, Happy New Year to you.

I really hope he has found a flock and that some day I will see him again. I so miss him being around!

I will certainly keep you posted should he return.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back