• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Canned' Lion hunting (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Awful stuff why is it mainly stupid, rich Americans?

I know others do it but by far the majority seem to be American and despite the gun culture, many aren't even competent marksmen making the animal suffer unneccessarily.

Once again, eonomics are given as the reason to continue hunting, a few rich landowners getting even richer through this barbarity. A lot more people pay to see the animals alive surely? This is a niche market for morons who almost certainly have a psychopathic element to their character.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-37295358

Andy

I would dearly like to hear from someone who gets a kick out of killing iconic species and then having their photograph taken with the corpse.
What is it that they are getting from their experience that I simply can't comprehend and what makes them feel that what they do is acceptable in a shrinking world? The mysteries of human psychology and psychotic behaviour are truly bewildering.

Awful stuff why is it mainly stupid, rich Americans? . . .

But others are catching up. . .

". . .Perhaps the biggest lever for change in South Africa is a US government ban on importing animal trophies which was brought in following the outcry over the killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe by an American dentist last year.
It has dramatically reduced the number of US hunters visiting, but hunters from Russia and the Middle East are on the increase. . . ".

But others are catching up. . .

". . .Perhaps the biggest lever for change in South Africa is a US government ban on importing animal trophies which was brought in following the outcry over the killing of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe by an American dentist last year.
It has dramatically reduced the number of US hunters visiting, but hunters from Russia and the Middle East are on the increase. . . ".

I know hunting is big in Russia as I live there half the year but wasn't aware they travelled outside of Europe to do it? I know they do go in to N and SE Europe for Wolves etc.

It's a much more mainstream and working class thing in Russia, ducks, Wild Boar and Deer are the usual quarry but it is much more of a challenge here and seen as such. There would never be a thought of such a laid on and easy kill, the emphasis really is on skill, tracking and endurance, surviving hardship and outwitting your prey etc. It's almost a lifestyle for many here and they seem equally happy after a weekend having not killed anything.

What these rich fools do is simply abhorrent especially the fad for using a bow like that ridiculous dentist did. If they have so much money to spare I suggest they spend it on a penis enlargement or a car.

Andy

Last edited:
I know hunting is big in Russia as I live there half the year but wasn't aware they travelled outside of Europe to do it ...

It's a much more mainstream and working class thing in Russia...

The hunters you are accustomed to in your area are not the same that are doing the big bucks foreign stuff. I guess you've heard of the Novye Russkie and those that followed them in the latest generation ...these are the guys doing the overseas trips and are almost certainly wealthy/extremely wealthy urban dwellers, not working class at all.

The hunters you are accustomed to in your area are not the same that are doing the big bucks foreign stuff. I guess you've heard of the Novye Russkie and those that followed them in the latest generation ...these are the guys doing the overseas trips and are almost certainly wealthy/extremely wealthy urban dwellers, not working class at all.

Shouldn't be a surprise really, bored, rich pricks looking for something to blow their money on.

A

What these rich fools do is simply abhorrent especially the fad for using a bow like that ridiculous dentist did. If they have so much money to spare I suggest they spend it on a penis enlargement or a car.

Come on Andy, be fair - some may prefer a reverse labiaplasty 8-P

But seriously - as a lot of normal folk find these trophy hunters sickening maybe just naming and shaming is enough - is there a website that collects inages and names of these "hunters"?

Come on Andy, be fair - some may prefer a reverse labiaplasty 8-P

But seriously - as a lot of normal folk find these trophy hunters sickening maybe just naming and shaming is enough - is there a website that collects inages and names of these "hunters"?

I don't think Americans care that much mate, if they did, why would these ********s pose with their victims?

Andy

Assuming it has no impact on wild populations, it's scarcely different from the killing of any other captive-bred animal.

Yes, probably meaningless from a conservation perspective. Focusing the energy from the outrage on more important threats would be more productive. Moreover killing a lion has been a custom among the Masai for proving manhood (though some have fortunately been trying to change that of late), so there's nothing particularly new about this, and it is probably an ancient human tradition, as is hunting in general. Though I, and even many hunters, agree of course that canned hunts are despicable.

Yes, probably meaningless from a conservation perspective. Focusing the energy from the outrage on more important threats would be more productive. Moreover killing a lion has been a custom among the Masai for proving manhood (though some have fortunately been trying to change that of late), so there's nothing particularly new about this, and it is probably an ancient human tradition, as is hunting in general. Though I, and even many hunters, agree of course that canned hunts are despicable.

The Masai don't chase captive bred, disoriented, basically non wold Lions in a truck with a high powered rifle.

I can't believe there are people who populate this board that seek to mitigate their behaviour, that's just cold! One poster doesn't surpise me though.

A

Not just Americans, Russians and Arabs but Western Europeans as well--

http://europe.newsweek.com/europe-spain-has-worst-record-lion-trophy-hunting-331181?rx=us

Anyone who does this has a certain personality type and that's obviously not limited by nationality though this kind of activity can be and is. They wouldn't boast about this kind of thing in the UK or their homes would be fire bombed!

They are basically psychopaths with little or no empathy, no grasp of the pain and fear they cause to living, intelligent things.

I won't write any more, this is an emotive subject for most normal people and I will argue and maybe insult and I don't want that.

Andy

Yes, probably meaningless from a conservation perspective. Focusing the energy from the outrage on more important threats would be more productive.

But who wants to productively tackle conservation threats when one can impotently and irrationally rage against wealthy folk for killing the wrong kind of farm-bred animal.

But who wants to productively tackle conservation threats when one can impotently and irrationally rage against wealthy folk for killing the wrong kind of farm-bred animal.

"Wealthy folk", that is, rich a**holes with a sadistic streak and a need to prove their manhood by killing something big and dangerous looking at zero risk to themselves. And "impotent" rage, I don't think so, as the US ban on trophy importation proves.

And, of course, it's not either/or. Campaigning against little evils doesn't preclude us from tackling the big stuff. Quite the reverse, in fact. Small victories are good for morale and can provide a psychological boost for the larger war.

Last edited:
Well, I'm still waiting far someone to give me a rational argument why killing one captive-bred animal is so different to killing another captive-bred animal.

All I've seen thus far are appeals to emotion.

I'm tempted to attribute the faux moral high ground of the unwashed masses, who are responsible for more animal cruelty, via diets high in intensively reared farm animals, than any number of big game hunters, to the narcissism of minor differences. But ignorance probably plays a bigger role.

Well, I'm still waiting far someone to give me a rational argument why killing one captive-bred animal is so different to killing another captive-bred animal.

The difference is in motive, to eat in the one case, to glory in the death of a fellow creature for sport (or some other discreditable reason) in the other.

All I've seen thus far are appeals to emotion.

We humans (or at least the best of us) are empathetic animals. . ..

I'm tempted to attribute the faux moral high ground of the unwashed masses, who are responsible for more animal cruelty, via diets high in intensively reared farm animals, than any number of big game hunters, to the narcissism of minor differences. But ignorance probably plays a bigger role.

The gist of this is clear enough but the syntax seems a bit awry. Or do you really mean to refer to me and other contributors to this thread as "unwashed masses"?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back