• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Canned' Lion hunting (1 Viewer)

The gist of this is clear enough but the syntax seems a bit awry. Or do you really mean to refer to me and other contributors to this thread as "unwashed masses"?

Fugl,
he / she means it very well and has done this shit before on the EU thread telling us all we were stupid and how far more more intelligent he/she was. I suspect a socialy inept person locked in a bedroom or facility somewhere.

We're clearly dealing with a narcisistic personality, probably psycopathic and with added delusions of grandeur. Probably got a basement full of tortured animals and works in a lab dropping chemicals in their eyes.

A very strange person whose only friend is his / her keyboard.

A

Last edited:
The gist of this is clear enough but the syntax seems a bit awry. Or do you really mean to refer to me and other contributors to this thread as "unwashed masses"?

Fugl,
he / she means it very well and has done this shit before on the EU thread telling us all we were stupid and how far more more intelligent he/she was. I suspect a socialy inept person locked in a bedroom or facility somewhere.

We're clearly dealing with a narcisistic personality, probably psycopathic and with added delusions of grandeur. Probably got a basement full of tortured animals and works in a lab dropping chemicals in their eyes.

A very strange person whose only friend is his / her keyboard.

Wow, you don't mince words, Andy! ;)

And I'd bet anything our friend's a he not a she. . .. ;)

Wow, you don't mince words, Andy!

And I'd bet anything our friend's a he not a she. . .. ;)

I'm known for it.......;)

I'm an great advocate for using real names on boards such as this, cuts out the bravado these people feel when they don't have to take responsibility for the crap they write.

Andy

Last edited:
FYI, from BF "Main Policy":

BirdForum is about the enjoyment and appreciation of WILD birds and other WILDLIFE. Please help us keep BirdForum wild. Please - no discussions relating to hunting, pigeon racing, the keeping of caged birds, captive birds or falconry.​

BirdForum is about the enjoyment and appreciation of WILD birds and other WILDLIFE. Please help us keep BirdForum wild. Please - no discussions relating to hunting, pigeon racing, the keeping of caged birds, captive birds or falconry.​

In the context of a forum that discusses wildlife and its conservation, things that directly impact on them need to be discussed. I take the above policy as no talking about these things for the sake of them in themselves, ie not to start discussions about a hunting trip we did, etc.

The moderators and Steve et al may well point out that I am wrong and all talk of hunting should be avoided, but Bird Forum would be the poorer for such a ban as key issues affecting what most of us are passionate about would then be unavailable for discussion.

That said, simple waste-of-space comments along the lines that all hunters are evil psychopaths, etc, serve absolutely no purpose and I would agree to see these stepped on.

In the context of a forum that discusses wildlife and its conservation, things that directly impact on them need to be discussed. I take the above policy as no talking about these things for the sake of them in themselves, ie not to start discussions about a hunting trip we did, etc.

That's how I'd read it too and btw, they don' 'step on' the advertisers who sell hunting scopes for rifles periodically?

A

The difference is in motive, to eat in the one case, to glory in the death of a fellow creature for sport (or some other discreditable reason) in the other.

I think if I was to be killed, it would somewhat irrelevant to me whether my killer was doing it because they were hungry, or merely doing it for the challenge.

We humans (or at least the best of us) are empathetic animals. . ..

That's fair enough, but that doesn't excuse the selective empathy we find.

As I said, still waiting for a rational explanation for why one captive-bred animal is to be favoured over another.

While we're at it, I think there's one poster who needs reminding of the first rule of BirdForum:

Respect other members

Remember: treat others as you would expect to be treated yourself.

We have members from all around the world; please be sensitive to and respectful of the opinions, religions, traditions and cultures of others. Avoid racial, religious and political comments.

Please do not post messages containing personal attacks. We do encourage healthy debate but not slanging matches. There is a difference between disagreeing with an opinion and a personal attack, so please think before you post. We will remove posts that are abusive, disruptive, or out of context.​

While we're at it, I think there's one poster who needs reminding of the first rule of BirdForum:

Respect other members

Remember: treat others as you would expect to be treated yourself.

We have members from all around the world; please be sensitive to and respectful of the opinions, religions, traditions and cultures of others. Avoid racial, religious and political comments.

Please do not post messages containing personal attacks. We do encourage healthy debate but not slanging matches. There is a difference between disagreeing with an opinion and a personal attack, so please think before you post. We will remove posts that are abusive, disruptive, or out of context.​

So refrain from calling people 'uneducated' and 'unwashed' as you have repeatedly done!

I think if I was to be killed, it would somewhat irrelevant to me whether my killer was doing it because they were hungry, or merely doing it for the challenge.

That's fair enough, but that doesn't excuse the selective empathy we find.

As I said, still waiting for a rational explanation for why one captive-bred animal is to be favoured over another.

But "their" attitude towards us (insofar as they have the mental capacity to have one) is immaterial. What matters, and what we've been talking about here, is our attitude towards "them". And that is mixed: we feel (or many of us of do) more empathy for African megafauna than for battery hens or feedlot cattle. There's no "rational explanation" for this, or need for "excuse", it's just a fact.

Last edited:
I have made no such comments towards other members. . .

So, the "faux moral high ground of the unwashed masses" (post 19) is just sloppy phraseology is it, intended to cast no aspersions on other contributors to the thread? Well, maybe. . . but I don't think so.

Last edited:
But "their" attitude towards us (insofar as they have the mental capacity to have one) is immaterial. What matters, and what we've been talking about here, is our attitude towards "them". And that is mixed: we feel (or many of us of do) more empathy for African megafauna than for battery hens or feedlot cattle. There's no "rational explanation" for this, or need for "excuse", it's just a fact.

Well okay, if you admit the stance is irrational, and therefore unreasonable, then there's not much more I can say.

So, the "faux moral high ground of the unwashed masses" (post 19) is just sloppy phraseology is it, intended to cast no aspersions on other contributors to the thread? Well, maybe. . . but I don't think so.

With respect, what you think is neither here nor there. It is not a personal attack on other members of this forum. For one thing, I have no idea at all whether anyone here has a diet "high in intensively reared farm animals".

Others may feel comfortable making bold, and incorrect, assertions about others - for instance, describing a lifelong vegetarian as a psychopathic narcissist who has a "basement full of tortured animals and works in a lab dropping chemicals in their eyes" - but you won't catch me uttering anything unless I know it to be true.

Well okay, if you admit the stance is irrational, and therefore unreasonable, then there's not much more I can say.

Phew, at last, you're finally abandoning the nonsensical "rational explanation" question. Good for you!

With respect, what you think is neither here nor there. It is not a personal attack on other members of this forum. For one thing, I have no idea at all whether anyone here has a diet "high in intensively reared farm animals".

Ah, but there you are. Since when have meat-eating "unwashed masses" occupied "faux moral high ground" with respect to trophy hunting? Most of them couldn't give two hoots about such things, and that leaves us--me and various other contributors to the thread--as the only plausible targets of your diatribe. Or maybe, as I've already suggested, you just got tangled in the syntax and lost track of where the sentence was heading?

Others may feel comfortable making bold, and incorrect, assertions about others - for instance, describing a lifelong vegetarian as a psychopathic narcissist who has a "basement full of tortured animals and works in a lab dropping chemicals in their eyes" - but you won't catch me uttering anything unless I know it to be true.

Just for the record, you've certainly been insulted in this thread but never by me personally (or at least not to speak of ;)).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back