• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 70D coming? (1 Viewer)

Plus for video shooting, the 70d has the 3-10x digital zoom. This is a great feature for Birds / wildlife. (The 600d has it too).

Can recording be done using the digital zoom then? If so that's another feature that went over my head with a big whoosh. A friend demonstrated the digital zoom on his 7D when we were observing a barn owl roost from a distance - through his 500 f4 too! It was amazing to be able to see them in the twilight at a considerable distance and I'm sure he said that he couldn't record like that. To be able to record would give me useful data

Can recording be done using the digital zoom then? If so that's another feature that went over my head with a big whoosh. A friend demonstrated the digital zoom on his 7D when we were observing a barn owl roost from a distance - through his 500 f4 too! It was amazing to be able to see them in the twilight at a considerable distance and I'm sure he said that he couldn't record like that. To be able to record would give me useful data

I think you might be confusing the 5x or 10x magnified live view feature included on most DSLRs as a focussing aid, which as you found out, is also quite useful if you don't happen to have a scope with you.

The 3x-10x zoom on the 600D and new 70D is different because it allows you to record video (but not stills) which as Peter noted, is extremely useful for wildlife watchers.

I recently bought a 600D to use specifically with my Swaro scope for digiscoping as you can get phenomenal magnification with this set up. I connect the scope and camera with a 40mm pancake lens and the DCA digiscoping adapter. As an example, if you have the scope set at 30x mag, and 3x video zoom, you can shoot videos at 90x. The benefit is that the brightness does not suffer as the camera is cropping the sensor instead of optically zooming. Video quality is just about as good up to 5x, but breaks up a little after that. In reality I find that keeping the scope below 40x and the camera below 4x zoom gives more than enough mag for when you need some extreme reach, with sufficient quality to make it worthwhile. That's 160x for videos with the potential to go further if air quality and wind (or lack of!!) allows. I have no idea how that converts to mm, but it's a lot!

I realise that some of the above would be more appropriate in the digiscoping or videoscoping forum, but as the subject was brought up here I thought it might be of interest.

Even with a 400mm lens you can get a very useable 1200mm-2000mm video camera, even if keeping the camera's zoom below 5x. By adding converters you could double this. If this feature is in fact going to be included in the 70D then I agree that it will be an added bonus that is often overlooked in the 600D.

Recently at the UK Bird Fair I asked a Canon rep if this feature would be repeated on any forthcoming bodies, but she seemed to think it was a bit of a gimmick and couldn't give a definite answer. This news, if true, is very welcome to me. I say this because when the EOS-M body was introduced it was rumoured to share this feature with the 600D, but on release the feature was never introduced on that camera.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Steve. I did a little digging around last night and found the answer in Canon's FAQ for the 70D. It is a feature, exactly as you state, for video only. At 3x it is still recording in HD (I also found some theories on DPReview on how the missing lines of data are created - and didn't grasp any of it!) but after 5x the quality drops significantly. The new phase detection AF however is not used, and as it is contrast only then the AF is slow - I would be interested to know how you have found it on the 600D but presume that you are manually focusing. Might be an excuse to dig out my Opticron scope again though.

As for 160x magnification, if 50mm is 1x then that would be 8000mm - I haven't got my head round the influences of the 40mm lens and crop factor but we can safely say it is an incredible level of magnification.

Paul

p.s. you're quite right about me confusing this with the live view magnification too

Thanks for the reply Steve. I did a little digging around last night and found the answer in Canon's FAQ for the 70D. It is a feature, exactly as you state, for video only. At 3x it is still recording in HD (I also found some theories on DPReview on how the missing lines of data are created - and didn't grasp any of it!) but after 5x the quality drops significantly. The new phase detection AF however is not used, and as it is contrast only then the AF is slow - I would be interested to know how you have found it on the 600D but presume that you are manually focusing. Might be an excuse to dig out my Opticron scope again though.

As for 160x magnification, if 50mm is 1x then that would be 8000mm - I haven't got my head round the influences of the 40mm lens and crop factor but we can safely say it is an incredible level of magnification.

Paul

p.s. you're quite right about me confusing this with the live view magnification too

Paul, yes manual focus only I'm afraid. As to working out the actual focal length, I've no idea, but that's interesting what you said about 3x still being HD quality. I presume that applies to both the 600D and the 70D. I usually find 3x is more than enough for most situations.

The digital zoom feature of the 600D (and presumably the 70D) requires the video to be shot at Full HD resolution. The camera then crops it down to the desired digital zoom range. Good to get clips of faraway birds. But I wish Canon did what Nikon, Sony and the Micro 4/3 consortium have been doing for years - include in-sensor cropping or digital zoom for stills.

The digital zoom feature of the 600D (and presumably the 70D) requires the video to be shot at Full HD resolution. The camera then crops it down to the desired digital zoom range.

I don't think that is quite how it works though it is certainly a layman's way of understanding it. Certainly from the 600D page Canon claim that the user is still recording in HD, even at 10x digital zoom, which means the output must be interpolated substantially but at 3x there are, theoretically anyway, still 1824 lines of pixels available for recording.

Beyond my technical grasp for sure

Hi Graham, for me the advantages that I am looking for in my next DSLR aren't available on the 7D. These are mainly the AF on live view and video, the silent shooting modes (if they work - I have seen no reviews that mention them yet) and the reticulated screen.

The 7D has 2 AF modes that the new 70D doesn't, AF point expansion and spot AF, the prior would be useful for birds in flight and the latter for birds in cover. I would like both of these on the 70D but Canon has left them off, I guess in part because the 7D is still a class above in their eyes and maybe supporting the belief that there will be a mkii in the future. The 7D also had dual processors making it a slightly faster performer with greater continuous shooting stamina.

If it is just general birding use then from everything that I have read, bearing in mind that 70D user review is still very thin on the ground so far, it seems that the 7D would be the better choice for you, but by far the best way forward is to go to your local supplier with your 400mm and try them both in hand.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I have decided to go for the 7D. Just waiting on delivery.

I had not realised that the 70D had the same crop video mode as the 600D, that coupled with the wifi features make in very tempting to me. I have a 600D that I use almost exclusively for video. As others have said from 3x to 5x delivers very good quality results, the extra magnification makes it ideal for getting record footage of birds. The remote control using a phone would be great for doing wide angle shots of birds... Getting tempted now.

Here are a couple of video samples using the crop video on the 600D. First of the Holt roller earlier this year, footage was shot in very poor light and high mag but isn't too bad - http://youtu.be/v8bJPFa6fzk wouldn't have got anything without the crop mode. Also some bits and on shot at Cley on my first time using the 600D in the field - http://youtu.be/HFCTGaMD7TM

Nice set of videos throughout PCV, particularly like the 2 Barn Owls, the Redshank and the Woodchat Shrike. That last one is great quality and exactly what I am hoping for - without the 7D (70D) and a 500 f4 (300f4) :-O

I have got a good idea of what my set-ups' limitations are - or, rather, will be once I have got the money together - so I'm not going into it with the misbelief that I will be recording for the BBC, but would you say that the actual video quality is better quality viewed on your screen before uploading?

There is a review video by DigitalRev where they have a quick go with the wifi app, taking shots of the guy who does the presenting taking photos of himself kicking a ball into a goal and it appears to work quite smoothly.

I sooo want to get hold of the 70D right now but gotta hold on for the price to drop :-C as I also want a video head, possibly the Manfrotto Q5 photo/video. They say patience is a virtue - more like a problem LOL

Thanks for posting the links :t:

The price has dropped to £965 body only from Amazon - still more than I'm prepared to pay for it but heading in the right direction!

Maybe me and Santa can do a deal if the retailers follow suit. Does anybody have any thoughts on when Canon will start offering a cash back on this- January sales is what I am thinking but I might not be able to hold my breath that long ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back