• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk II is announced and available for pre-order (1 Viewer)

Knot not Golden Plover!

Pleased you've got a 7DIIthat seems to work!

cheers, alan

Oops. Should have looked instead of shooting first. ;) Sometimes you see what you expect to see, not what's actually there. The much larger flock that passed overhead at 14.18 were golden plover, so when I saw another group of waders 4 minutes later, mixing in with the lapwings, I drew the wrong conclusion and got on with looking for a peregrine that I had a hunch might be to blame. Then it turned up and all hell was let loose.

There were a couple of hawks too. This one and a red one.

Attachments

• IMG_0078-web.jpg
    IMG_0078-web.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0101-web.jpg
    IMG_0101-web.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
What spare batteries is everyone using for the 7D2? Forking out for the LP-E6N?

I bought a couple of generic batteries for my 7D Mk 1 recently, making three of these in all.

All work in the Mk 2. When I put them on charge, the Mk 2 charger blinks for a few seconds and then starts to blink in the expected groups of 3 or 2 and commences to charge.

Hope this helps.

Can't remember where I got them from, simply googled 7uD batteries.

Colin

I ordered 2 from the South American jungle river company and both work fine in both camera and charger, seem to hold charge well as well. I'm finding I get >1000 on the fully charged canon batteryso I think have only used once when I forget to recharge the original. PM me if you want exact details not sure about posting full details on here as may infringe 'rules'. No complaints with mine at all.

Phil

I have a generic LP-E6 that I bought for a tenner or so for my 7D four years ago. It works fine in both that camera and the 7DII, but it won't charge on the 7dII charger. The light starts off blinking slowly, but after 10 seconds it goes into the rapid-blinking phase that shows the charger isn't communicating with the battery. When I first tried it in November it was still doing this after 4 or 5 hours before I realised the problem. It should have been charged in a couple of hours.

It did this on my first charger that came with the 7DII when it was first released (see earlier post from November) and I've just tried it on the new charger that arrived with my second replacement yesterday. Same result. Ten seconds of slow blinking, followed by rapid continuous blinking.

There's no manufacturer's detail on the generic battery, other than 'Li-ion Battery Pack' on the front and a plate with 'Fits CAN. LP-E6, 7.4V 1600mAH', etc on the back.

Maybe its a problem with this manufacturer. Maybe other manufacturers' batteries my charge. Beware.

Last edited:
I have just tried my three generic batteries in the Mk 2 and the battery icon shows them as full.

I then tested them in a 7D Mk 1 charger and got the green light in every case.

The 'manufacturer's detail' is the same as on BW's.

Given the cost of Canon spare batteries, it might be worth a punt on a generic one to try it out.

Colin

I have just tried my three generic batteries in the Mk 2 and the battery icon shows them as full.

I then tested them in a 7D Mk 1 charger and got the green light in every case.

The 'manufacturer's detail' is the same as on BW's.

Given the cost of Canon spare batteries, it might be worth a punt on a generic one to try it out.

Colin

My generic battery charges fine in the Mark 1 charger. It always has.

It works fine in the Mk II camera.

It just doesn't charge on the Mk II charger.

If I'd not owned the 7D and its charger before and tried to buy the same generic battery for the MkII, I'd be stuffed, because I'd only have a new charger and nothing to fall back on.

Interesting account on two generic battery situations. It would be good if we knew which makes we are talking about !
My Hahnel batteries for both the 1D and 5D both work perfectly well with the latest models but the cameras both give a "Cannot communicate with the camera" message which you can just ignore and carry on as usual.The 1D one was fine with the 1D1V so I assume it's Canon being awkward !
My 1DX one, Hahnel's HN-E4 charges perfectly and holds it's charge as long as the Canon one, the LP-E4N. Canon's cost about £30 more but even the Hahnel's is an eye watering £98.99 at WEX. The LP-E4N replaced the LP-E4 when the 1DX came out, The old batteries charge perfectly in the new charger the 1DX was supplied with but the old charger was supposedly not able to fully charge the newer "N" battery. I wouldn't know as I never had need or tried to.
The 5D3 one, Hahnel's HL-E6 is an interesting one because they sell the twin pack for £51 or you can buy what appears to be a new longer lasting model, the HLX-E6 at £49 each. A big difference.
I know the 7D2 is supposedly much thirstier on battery power but again, from what I can tell, my Canon LP-6 doesn't last any longer than the Hahnel one.
It appears that WEX no longer sell the LP-6, it being replaced by the LP-6N . That retails at £79 or £138 for the twin pack.
Now I don't understand the technical details but according to WEX
The HL-E6 is 1650 MaH 7.2v
The HLX-E6 is 1700MaH 7.2v
The LP-6N is 1800Mah 7.4 v

The twin pack HL-E6 at £51 looks by far the best value if they are compatible with the 7D2 and I can't see why they shouldn't be.
The only downside is that if you only have one charger it's a bit of a nuisance only being able to charge more than one at a time. Why they don't make twin chargers as they do for the 1D series is a mystery, especially as you are less likely to ever need to charge two 1D batteries at once as they last all day on every occasion I have been out and about.

• 2 X Canon LP-E6 PREMIUM Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery (100% COMPATIBLE) from Dot.Foto - with Dot.Foto InfoChip - 7.4v / 1600mAh - 2 Year Warrant
Sold by PowerPlanet Europe

These are details of my batteries sold by Amazon UK for £19.98.

Colin

Many thanks for the battery information. Food for thought there.

I've just received the diagnostics from the repairer for my faulty 7D2.

"DISMANTLE TO RESET CAMERA BODY DEPTHS, RESET VIEWFINDER PARALLAX,
RECALIBRATE AF AND GIVE FULL TEST TO STANDARD"

I'm not an engineer so it doesn't mean much to me, but it does seem as if Canon have some quality control problems with this model.
At least I'll have a good one when I get it back.

That's better!

Unexpected sunshine today got me out for an extended session. One or two missed flight shots, but I didn't realise how really bad the first body was until I saw these.

Static shots of robins and stuff kept crisp also, time after time.

The first flight shot of the curlew missed focus slightly (not shown here), but it picked up for the second shot and the third, before losing it slightly for the fourth, but regaining it for the fifth.

That is exactly what it does: miss, hit, hit then goes awol for a couple then back in focus again: it's just a lack of reliability and consistency in the A1 servo AF system and is the same on both I have had: walls and flowers don't challenge the AF system

One from today, in deep shade under a cliff against water and dark rocks with sunlit skies overhead. I had the white balance on Auto, but the subject foxed it. I don't know that anything other than manually setting the white balance with a white target would have done the job under the circumstances, but if I'd tried messing about like that the sandpiper would have been off. WB Corrected in Photoshop. ISO 2500.

The few shots that missed focus today were entirely my fault. The new camera was spot on.

(Any softness of the image below is because of reducing to 800 pixels and saving for web at 85% quality. The original was sharp as a razor on those feather tips on the wing and flank.)

Attachments

• Purple-Sandpiper-web.jpg
    Purple-Sandpiper-web.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
I see that the selling price continues to drop, now available at £1149. Even with the teething problems, it's looking to be a bargain buy.
Anyone got some examples of white birds to show ?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back