• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon extenders and 70-200 L f4 IS (1 Viewer)

tribsa

Can anyone tell me, can the Canon 1.4 and 2x II extenders be used with the new 70-200 L f4 is lens.

I have the Canon brochure and it does not quote this lens in there as one that can be used with the Extenders.

If they cannot be used is there another alternative extender so that I can extend the focal length of the lens without losing to much quality.

tribsa said:
Can anyone tell me, can the Canon 1.4 and 2x II extenders be used with the new 70-200 L f4 is lens.

I have the Canon brochure and it does not quote this lens in there as one that can be used with the Extenders.

If they cannot be used is there another alternative extender so that I can extend the focal length of the lens without losing to much quality.

I am pretty sure they can. They can certainly be used with the 70-200mm f4 L lens, and the new IS lens is not that different.

I would be suprised if they cannot be used - I use one with the 70-200 f4 non IS and it takes the 1.4 tc very well.

I read somewhere when this new 70-200 f4IS was announced, that it was not compatible with the 1.4x and 2.0x converters.

Page 72 of the latest EOS magazine states that there was an error in their publications relating to this lens and it is fully compatible with both 1.4X and 2X extenders.
There is also a good article about understanding image histograms on page 56

nigelblake said:
Page 72 of the latest EOS magazine states that there was an error in their publications relating to this lens and it is fully compatible with both 1.4X and 2X extenders.
There is also a good article about understanding image histograms on page 56

Thanks for the remarks Nigel, it will be handy if they are compatible as I might like to extend the lens at sometime.

I had a look on the internet for the canon EOS magazine but I dont think you can actually read it.

Barry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back