• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Lens Efs 55-250 Is (1 Viewer)

Mackem George

A regular visitor to the garden managed to capture it with a new purchase,the Canon Lens 55-250IS.
Obtained this to help reduce the weight carrying about,certainly found it a great asset in that respect.Believe you can obtain kenko HD TELEPLUS 1.4 CONVERTER which understand still retains auto focus.
GEORGE.

Last edited:
Another visit from the Sparrow Hawk stayed quite awhile gave me the chance of a fair number of photos,only snag taken through window.
GEORGE.

Last edited:
Looks good to me!

Reminds me of last summer when I was helping in a demonstration when there was an almighty kerfuffle and people said that a Sparrow Hawk had caught a pigeon.and was eating it. So, I took some photographs, and real experts said it was a Peregrine Falcon, and the pigeon escaped. How many small birds is your sparrow hawk taking?

Malcolm thank you for your contact,very pleased with lens real cheapo very light to carry around.Really the Sparrow Hawk has been unlucky in its visits, nearest to success was a Magpie landed right next to it on the fence,the hawk made a lunge but Magpie was quite quick and made off before any damage was done.Have managed more photos this time through window,really look ok actually.
Having a number of feeders out although really a urban garden do get a interesting number of birds,Jay Woodpecker among them.
GEORGE.

I would try that extender/converter before you buy. I doubt it would be very good on your lens and even if the autofocus works it will be far from great. You will, almost certainly, be better off cropping your images a bit and you will save a few quid as well!
It may work well for you but the Kenko and Canon extenders didn't work for me until I spent silly money on large fast lenses!

John many thanks for advice actually my son is advising the same,maybe will shelve that idea.Have been starting to ease amount of gear being carried especially now in my declining years as they say.
GEORGE.

More photos of Sparrow Hawk coming fairly often at present.Second photo looking a bit fluffed up against the wind.
Taken through bedroom window.
GEORGE.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back