• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Lens repairs, any suggestions (1 Viewer)

Parryman1

I had a mishap with my canon 100-400mm mkii this morning. It slid less than a foot from resting on my bag onto grass with and a monopod attached and a one and a half inch section of the lens collar has snapped off. I can only think the leverage of the monopod hasnt helped as it was such a minor incident. I am amazed how thin the collar is, there is a 7mm band around the internal circumference that is less than 2mm thick.
The collar is not removable as on the mk1 and will need disassembling from the mount end to replace it. It is otherwise fine.
Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable service centre to do the work without being ripped off. A quick Google search has shown a company called Fixation who have a drop off desk at WEX near me in Manchester who will collect it from there and provide a free estimate and return.IMG_20210325_110030.jpg

Back when I used Canon kit I used Fixation several times for mishaps over the years. Very good service with a fairly quick turnaround, but that was pre Covid, so it might not be as speedy these days.

It might need a whole new barrel assembly, which might make it beyond economical repair, but I'm sure they'll advise you on that.

Best of luck!

Stu

Thanks Stuart, that sounds drastic if they can't just replace the collar. I've just compared it to the removable one on my 400mm 5.6 which is removable and so much more robust. You would lens upgrades would be better all round but apparently not. Thanks for the advice. I've just thought about the house insurance and never claimed in 40 years but I'm sure I've got accidental cover so hopefully I shouldn't be too out of pocket

I use CPS in Elstree..you can send things by post but I'm not sure they are accepting any non members equipment at the moment. They are excellent as they should be and I have found repairs not as expensive as I expected. I'd give them a ring as it's pretty straight forward what the problem is and they should be able to quote a repair cost. You might even be able to see it online.

Thanks Dave, I'm just waiting for the Mrs to get home for a *ollocking and to ask her where the house insurance is so I can check we are covered. I'm not a CPS member and the website says there is a delay in services for non members due to Covid. I'll try and contact them and find out more. Thanks for the advice. If I splash out on a R5 and 500mm I will sign up

Thanks Dave, I'm just waiting for the Mrs to get home for a *ollocking and to ask her where the house insurance is so I can check we are covered. I'm not a CPS member and the website says there is a delay in services for non members due to Covid. I'll try and contact them and find out more. Thanks for the advice. If I splash out on a R5 and 500mm I will sign up
It's free to join, all equipment qualifies for points that up the service level. The lens is definitely worth repairing , one in good condition is worth at least £1k.

Logged on today thanks and registered all my gear apart from an EF 25-105 L f4 which I purchased 2nd hand but as new. It won't recognise the serial number so am guessing its a grey import. The more I look at the flimsy nature of the collar design the more puzzled I am why Canon had to change from the study removable one of the earlier lenses for a small loss in weight.

Grey isn't a problem, half my gear is and that is all registered. My guess is that whoever originally had your 24-105 ( I presume it's not 25!) might have it registered in their name.If you bought it privately I'd ask them.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back