• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon RF 200-800mm IS USM (2 Viewers)

Half an hour with some shorebirds this morning. The lens performed well, and (since I sorted out my camera settings) so did the R7. Over 150 shots of the curlew taken, without a single dropped focus, although there were a few shelducks (out of 400+), mainly flight shots, where focus wandered momentarily, before being regained, but that's the camera, not the lens.

I even spotted a Pushmi-Pullyu resting in a field on the way there.

Attachments

• Curlew-(55)-fbook.jpg
    Curlew-(55)-fbook.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Shelduck (145)-fbook.jpg
    Shelduck (145)-fbook.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • Shelduck-(80)-fbook.jpg
    Shelduck-(80)-fbook.jpg
    882.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Shelduck-(191)-fbook.jpg
    Shelduck-(191)-fbook.jpg
    671.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Shelduck-(133)-fbook.jpg
    Shelduck-(133)-fbook.jpg
    910.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Shelduck-(135)-fbook.jpg
    Shelduck-(135)-fbook.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Whooper-(18)-fbook.jpg
    Whooper-(18)-fbook.jpg
    995.3 KB · Views: 72
Now over 5 months since my initial order of this lens and still waiting. The most frustrating part is no word from Canon on anticipated delivery or even when their production will begin substantially catching up with back-orders. Makes me curious as to how long many of us will have to wait, or if this same consumer disregard will be shown to pre-orders of the new R1 and R5II. Does anyone have insight into how Canon is doing as a company? The seemingly chronic stumbling in moving from “announcement” to “in stock” makes one question their corporate standing or sourcing / manufacturing / shipping partnerships. After all this can no longer be just explained away by claiming COVID impacts.

[EDIT] For full disclosure I pre-ordered directly from Canon within minutes of pre-orders being enabled on 2 November. Just prior to two weeks later I saw a pending charge from Canon on my credit card and was expecting that my order was being filled. So I went on Canon’s website and checked my order status and nothing had changed. A day or so later I saw that according to my credit card my order was being canceled. Since I didn’t recall canceling my order I called my bank to inquire and they said it was canceled via Canon’s end. I then called Canon’s customer service to determine what happened and although they could see that my order had been canceled on the Canon end, they could not determine why. So, I asked if they could reconstitute my order so I wouldn’t lose my place in the queue. They said their system would not allow that and I would have to re-order. So, I re-placed my order on 15 Nov and requested Canon CS place a special note on my account not to cancel unless speaking with me directly (not certain if that will matter). Well, since then Canon still sends a “pending” charge to my card every several weeks but my order status has never changed.

Personally I’d much rather be testing out my new lens or at least planning for its expected arrival vs having nothing else to offer but the continuing pre-order drama. I love Canon gear so it is my sincerest hope that pre-orders of upcoming cameras and lenses run much smoother.

Last edited:
Here in the UK I called in the store of an on line dealer the other week and they said 'think we sent out a couple the other week' and they 'hoped' to get hold of one for an in store event this month. Only one on line official retailer puts a date up and that's limited stock in June. It seems if you do pre order and even pay a deposit as one dealer wanted you would still have no idea of when you might receive it as it all depends on the dealer allocation, miss that cut who knows when the next allocation arrives.

I was wondering if the supply issues with this lens have been sorted yet. That'll be a no, then.

I've not been able to get out nearly as much as I'd have liked with this lens (crap weather), but yesterday, taking a break from decorating, and just for a few minutes, without leaving the room, I fastened the 1.4 converter onto it for the first time in daylight and fixed the combo onto my R7, crop body, giving an effective focal length of 800x1.4x1.6 = 1792mm.

The light was poor, but better than it has been, with 100% overcast (not as heavy overcast as most days in the past month), and the sun was even trying to break through (and failing) when I took a few test shots from our back window. The light was even worse in the ground, because it's surrounded by high walls. The blackbird was hopping about on the ground in deep shade at a range of about 20m, too far really, and the goldfinch was a little further, but it's all I had to work with. Another lens cropped in post processing at that range would also struggle with feather detail etc.

All shots completely uncropped. Blackbird at ISO 6400 (apart from the last one at 5000), and the goldfinch was ISO 5000 & 3200.

On this trial, I'd say that the converter on the lens is usable in certain cases, but I'll not be using it as a matter of course. Maybe it might perform better in good light, with a faster shutter speed. We'll see.

Attachments

• ASG_7152-fbook.jpg
    ASG_7152-fbook.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 30
  • ASG_7169-fbook.jpg
    ASG_7169-fbook.jpg
    994 KB · Views: 27
  • ASG_7181-fbook.jpg
    ASG_7181-fbook.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 27
  • ASG_7186-fbook.jpg
    ASG_7186-fbook.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 28
  • ASG_7212-fbook.jpg
    ASG_7212-fbook.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 30
  • ASG_7225-fbook.jpg
    ASG_7225-fbook.jpg
    787.5 KB · Views: 31
Out with the 200-800 on the R7 on a rare sunny day, 29th March, for a couple of strangers from origin unknown, and a few of the locals.

Attachments

• Egyptian-Goose-(20)-fbook.jpg
    Egyptian-Goose-(20)-fbook.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Egyptian-Goose-(28)-fbook.jpg
    Egyptian-Goose-(28)-fbook.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Egyptian-Goose-(32)-fbook.jpg
    Egyptian-Goose-(32)-fbook.jpg
    844.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Egyptian-Goose-(47)-fbook.jpg
    Egyptian-Goose-(47)-fbook.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 22
  • Egyptian-Goose-(72)-fbook.jpg
    Egyptian-Goose-(72)-fbook.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 22
  • Curlew-(21)-fbook.jpg
    Curlew-(21)-fbook.jpg
    779 KB · Views: 20
  • Oystercatcher-(17)-fbook.jpg
    Oystercatcher-(17)-fbook.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Redshank-(44)-fbook.jpg
    Redshank-(44)-fbook.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Redshank-(49)-fbook.jpg
    Redshank-(49)-fbook.jpg
    902.4 KB · Views: 26
If I were to buy the 200-800 it would be to replace the 1.4TC on the 100-500 which would not only give me more light but no loss of reach at the short end.
I actually bought the R7 as I needed a back-up camera for my R5 which is still my go to body but instead of using a TC I use the R7 now.
Crazy really, the 1.4 TC isn't that much cheaper than the R7 depending of course where you buy one.

200-800 on the R5 in cloudy weather. ISO 1250 at the harbour, 2500 for the geese & 3200 for the pigeon.

The lens plays better with the R5 than the R7, with better focus acquisition & stickiness.

Attachments

• Wood-Pigeon-(2)-fbook.jpg
    Wood-Pigeon-(2)-fbook.jpg
    974 KB · Views: 33
  • Greylag-(3)-fbook.jpg
    Greylag-(3)-fbook.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Herring-Gull-(76)-fbook.jpg
    Herring-Gull-(76)-fbook.jpg
    714.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Herring-Gull-(32)-fbook.jpg
    Herring-Gull-(32)-fbook.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Herring-Gull-(12)-fbook.jpg
    Herring-Gull-(12)-fbook.jpg
    705.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Herring-Gull-(7)-fbook.jpg
    Herring-Gull-(7)-fbook.jpg
    987.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Eider-(11)-fbook.jpg
    Eider-(11)-fbook.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 34
If I were to buy the 200-800 it would be to replace the 1.4TC on the 100-500 which would not only give me more light but no loss of reach at the short end.
I actually bought the R7 as I needed a back-up camera for my R5 which is still my go to body but instead of using a TC I use the R7 now.
Crazy really, the 1.4 TC isn't that much cheaper than the R7 depending of course where you buy one.
Hallo Dave

I have the same R5 set up as you. As ever, looking to get more reach. Have I read your post correctly in that you now use the R7 in preference to the R5?

Thanks

Colin

Hallo Dave

I have the same R5 set up as you. As ever, looking to get more reach. Have I read your post correctly in that you now use the R7 in preference to the R5?

Thanks

Colin
I use the R7 in preference to a 1.4tc on the 100-500 Colin. I’m impressed with the IQ on the R7 but ISO much better on the R5 but having said that you can zoom back to obtain a wider aperture and still have the same reach as the R5 when you stick the R7 on the 100-500. Undecided on the AF of the R7 for birds n flight but need to practice more. I much prefer the buttons and dials on the R5, for me the only advantage the R7 has body wise is the easy switch to video mode.

I use the R7 in preference to a 1.4tc on the 100-500 Colin. I’m impressed with the IQ on the R7 but ISO much better on the R5 but having said that you can zoom back to obtain a wider aperture and still have the same reach as the R5 when you stick the R7 on the 100-500. Undecided on the AF of the R7 for birds n flight but need to practice more. I much prefer the buttons and dials on the R5, for me the only advantage the R7 has body wise is the easy switch to video mode.
Thanks Dave

More food for thought.......

A few shots with the R7 and the 200-800. Some portraits of a fence-jumper on Sunday in good light and one today of a grasshopper warbler skulking in a bush in dull weather.

The first four mandarin shot were all at 800mm and the fifth was taken with the 1.4x converter (1120mm), The sixth shot was just over 200mm. The warbler was 700mm.

Attachments

• Mandarin-(14)-fbook.jpg
    Mandarin-(14)-fbook.jpg
    829.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Mandarin-(25)-fbook.jpg
    Mandarin-(25)-fbook.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 18
  • Mandarin-(29)-fbook.jpg
    Mandarin-(29)-fbook.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Mandarin-(31)-fbook.jpg
    Mandarin-(31)-fbook.jpg