• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60HS in Action (15 Viewers)

Well my much liked SX50 did not survive being left on the side of a Scottish sea Loch for a few nights- shocking build quality :-O Am going through the insurance so will have an SX60 delivered in the next few days. I'll try and contribute to this thread but I'm very much a birder before photographer.

Does anyone have any settings they can suggest?

Rich

From my readings in the forums, the SX50 settings you are used to are a good start. Apparently they haven't changed much menu-settings wise between the SX50 and SX60.

There is also an SX50 thread with some settings as well.

I also believe I posted my SX60 settings someplace in this thread. I based mine off a combination of the aforementioned SX50 thread as well as my own experience squeezing the most out of small sensor cameras, though I do not claim to be any sort of expert. :eek!:

Thanks Kevin.

I'm still up in the air. Happy with the build quality of the Canon even though it feels insubstantial in the hand. The SX50 went everywhere with me. Often with a scope, bins, and when my children were younger, a child on my shoulders.

The Panny is tempting though - even if it's just for a change.

Rich

My next "toy" is going to be a Sony RX100 series, probably a Mk III, but they stubbornly refuse to drop to a price point I can justify. But it would make a great supplementary camera. My girlfriend has the Mk V and man that is a sweet little pocket camera; she uses it to supplement her DLSR (which has a 70-300 lens, so the Sony is for short-range).

Happy with the SX60 for what I use it for, which is basically "budget digiscoping without the budget scope." |:D|

Last edited:
Well the SX60 arrived yesterday. I got the worst job out of the way straight away. After much swearing I admitted defeat and handed the camera to Sars. Damn those straps are fiddly to attach.:-@

Spent the rest of the evening applying settings recommended by CF in the SX50 thread as well as users on this one. One of the great things about this forum is how free people are with their advice:t:

First impressions are that the camera weighs more; feels more substantial in the hand; and the camera body is more textured where you hold it - something I prefer over the SX50. Having said that, I had zero issues with the SX50 over a few years of use and in all conditions. It really was a great piece of kit.

I took a couple of shots this morning but was hoping to have a play after work today. Unfortunately I've only just stopped throwing up (my own fault!!) so a proper test will have to wait until tomorrow. I'm hoping to head out to Ynys Las where a King Eider has been hanging around. If it's there it should provide a decent test for the zoom capabilities:t:

Rich

Dipped on Eider but did get to try the zoom out. Also tried the camera out on a few garden birds.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 180
Decent zoom which I didn't find too shaky. I usually use the hide to steady my hand. Not sure how far away the Peregrine was but it was quite some distance.

Attachments

• IMG_4132.jpg
    IMG_4132.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_860.jpg
    IMG_860.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 271
Nice photos, ClarkWGriswold.

Even a guesstimate how far out the Peregrine was? Did you have any of the digital zoom or digital teledapter features turned on?

I've found 130m so far is my most useful limit for larger birds like hen harriers or vultures, only 75–80m for smaller birds; I'm curious what other people pull off without resorting to digital enhancement.

I consider 130m not bad, because my digiscoping rig couldn't do much better and digiscoping is not conducive to birds in flight; while the SX60 can with persistence and patience.

Hi Kevin. Not too sure to be honest. I had the teleconverter on which I found worked quite well. I often used the SX50 to assist with ID's when I didn't have my scope with me.

Rich

Enjoying using the camera. Bluetooth is useful for transferring to the iPad and as others have said, the viewfinder is more usable than on the SX50. Had an issue with image stabilisation this morning. Felt more like image de-stabilisation :-O

To be fair to the camera I suppose the bird was a fair distance away and I had nothing to prop myself against.

Rich

Any SX60 Replacemnt News?

Historically, Canon has announced new models of the SX series super zoom in September. They originally updated it annually but now it has been three years for the SX60 with an update due. (The Nikon P900 came out in about March of 2015 with an 83x, 24-2000mm equivalent lens and Canon has yet to respond.)

Has anyone heard of any upcoming announcement from Canon on a SX60 replacement?

Historically, Canon has announced new models of the SX series super zoom in September. They originally updated it annually but now it has been three years for the SX60 with an update due. (The Nikon P900 came out in about March of 2015 with an 83x, 24-2000mm equivalent lens and Canon has yet to respond.)

Has anyone heard of any upcoming announcement from Canon on a SX60 replacement?
I'd be happy if they just made Quality of Life improvements.

Leave the resolution alone but do things like up the sensor size, improve the noise performance (the 16MP resolution is wasted by sensor noise), sped-up the zoom, sped-up the autofocus, increased the EVF resolution.

Actually if I had to pick just three things it'd be the EVF resolution , EVF refresh, and the sensor noise.

But for goodness sake, until they fix the sensor noise don't give us a longer zoom...it'll only make the problem worse. But I fear that they may "chase the zoom" instead for a future update.

The other part of me wishes Sony would suddenly decide to use their genius from the RX100 line to make a superzoom. They've shown they can make a premium compact that people will buy despite a semi-insane price point, imagine what kind of superzoom they could make...

Obligatory squirrel shots. Not overly happy with my new free editing software. I can see Delia has posted a thread so I think I might try one of those instead.

Agree with Kevin's recommendations for SX70 along with improved IS.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_4306.jpg
    IMG_4306.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 133
Possibly the first, and last time I muck around with the digital zoom. Unless it's for ID purposes.

Attachments

• IMG_4450.jpg
    IMG_4450.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 218
These just have the t/c on. Was going to head down to Sker Point but got totally distracted for a couple of hours by a male Kingfisher in for a couple of hours:t:

Attachments

• IMG_4423.jpg
    IMG_4423.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4412.jpg
    IMG_4412.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4433.jpg
    IMG_4433.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4446.jpg
    IMG_4446.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4455.jpg
    IMG_4455.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 153
The digital teleconverter (especially the x1.2) works alot better than the digital zoom. I leave both off unless I'm desperate and then when I want to "reach" I only use the digital teleconverter (I have assigned it to one of the buttons on the lens barrel).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back