• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon's EOS Digital Rebel (1 Viewer)

i am new know not a lot about this. I have a Canon EOS 300 digital Rebel and work with a T adaptor and a Televue of 480 mm ( I think) Is that Digiscoping?? Is there anything I can do to get the best focus??

Finally bought an Olympus E300 Evolt

PWG said:
Interesting idea. I hadn't though of taking the lens away completely, if it works it would certainly cut down on the amount of glass and make the image a lot brighter. The only downside I can see to this is the only adaptors I've seen are open and potentialy you could fill your camera with dust?

I've just changed my lens from the standard 18-55mm to a canon 50mm f1.8 II. Although the zoom works OK since winter is now here and the light is worse I've been struggling with the zoom at f5.6 at 50-55mm. I went out yesterday and am very pleased with the difference that going to the new lens at only f1.8 made. I was getting the same quality of results at 60x that I had been getting at 20x.

Let us know how you get on.

Well, I've bought the Oly E300 and had to wait for a free adapter for the camera body onto which I've double-taped (for now) my Swaro DCA adapter which slides over the eye-piece on my Swaro ATS 65 scope. Results so far are disappointing. Although no sign of vignetting, the amount of winter light and the 65 mm objective means slow speeds which, together with the movement created by the slam of the shutter-release, results in blurred photos. The set-up is so unbalanced that I'll have to figure out a method to eliminate movement if this is going to work - seems like someone else has blurred image problems too. I'll keep at it until successful.

wildabel said:
Well, I've bought the Oly E300 and had to wait for a free adapter for the camera body onto which I've double-taped (for now) my Swaro DCA adapter which slides over the eye-piece on my Swaro ATS 65 scope. Results so far are disappointing. Although no sign of vignetting, the amount of winter light and the 65 mm objective means slow speeds which, together with the movement created by the slam of the shutter-release, results in blurred photos. The set-up is so unbalanced that I'll have to figure out a method to eliminate movement if this is going to work - seems like someone else has blurred image problems too. I'll keep at it until successful.

Is there any way of fitting a sliding plate to the tripod? Since I fitted mine the balance has been so much easier to sort out, even with the added weight.

PWG said:
Is there any way of fitting a sliding plate to the tripod? Since I fitted mine the balance has been so much easier to sort out, even with the added weight.

Good point - at present I don't know of anything so I'll probably have to come up with some home-made effort unless there's something out there that I can adapt. Having the angled eye-piece doesn't help either, 'cept for astro work.

wildabel said:
Good point - at present I don't know of anything so I'll probably have to come up with some home-made effort unless there's something out there that I can adapt. Having the angled eye-piece doesn't help either, 'cept for astro work.

Manfrotto do a quick release assembly that fits on to a standard 1/4 or 3/8 mount. It's actually designed as a video head so its certainly well built and can take a beating. Product Code: 357 - Bogen code (USA only): 3273. This is the one I have and gives a large amount of adjustment. I'm sure somebody else out there must do one as well, perhaps cheaper.

PWG said:
Manfrotto do a quick release assembly that fits on to a standard 1/4 or 3/8 mount. It's actually designed as a video head so its certainly well built and can take a beating. Product Code: 357 - Bogen code (USA only): 3273. This is the one I have and gives a large amount of adjustment. I'm sure somebody else out there must do one as well, perhaps cheaper.

Thanks - I'll check it out. My tripod is a Manfrotto but with the tapered-inward square recess for a quick-release mount which fits the support on the Swaro scopes. I have a 1/4 mount from another tripod which I can use. One disturbing aspect of my photos is that, although the centre of the photo may be in focus, it degrades in a circular process towards the edges where it's very blurry. Have you found this to be the case? I'm wondering whether the optics without a lense produce this effect.

wildabel said:
Thanks - I'll check it out. My tripod is a Manfrotto but with the tapered-inward square recess for a quick-release mount which fits the support on the Swaro scopes. I have a 1/4 mount from another tripod which I can use. One disturbing aspect of my photos is that, although the centre of the photo may be in focus, it degrades in a circular process towards the edges where it's very blurry. Have you found this to be the case? I'm wondering whether the optics without a lense produce this effect.

It's possible that the scope is focusing to a point but the camera lens adjusts it to focus across the the whole of the sensor. I still use the 50mm lens so don't have that problem. One thing I have noticed is that when I zoom in to 60X I get a white circle covering most of the picture. I haven't been able to figure it out but must be the way the optics interact. I just don't zoom in past 40x now and it's all OK.

PWG said:
If I can get the manage attachments to work I'll add a photo but the story goes like this.

I have a Swaro ST80HD (old style) with a new 20-60 eyepiece. The standard zoom lens on the 300D could almost have been made for the eyepiece as it fits almost exactly.

To fit the two together I have a Zeiss quick adaptor which was in no way made to fit the straight Swaro due to the length of the scope. The longer prism housing and the length of the eyepiece make it a few inches too long for the setup. Undeterred the guy in the shop was definitely not going to be beaten so I have the scope mounted on a Manfrotto sliding plate. The vertical support of the Zeiss is reversed to add a bit of length as well. I've added a QR to the camera mount for ease of use and a second sliding plate to the top of the tripod that way I can fit the scope straight on the tripod if I don't take the camera with me.

The setup is certainly well made but is a bit heavy for a lot of people. Perhaps a different scope may make it easier to attach it all together without the extra iron work, but I was trying to use what I had. Even with the added weight I would certainly recommend the Zeiss for ease of use.

Hi Paul..i am very interested in this thread. I have a canon 300D adapted with no lens to a TeleVue Scope. Great definition but of corurse samall magnification. Do you or anyone else know if there is anyway I can adapt the canon with the 18-55 mm lens to the TeleVue??? Any hint would be of great help.
Thank you

fendetestass said:
Hi Paul..i am very interested in this thread. I have a canon 300D adapted with no lens to a TeleVue Scope. Great definition but of corurse samall magnification. Do you or anyone else know if there is anyway I can adapt the canon with the 18-55 mm lens to the TeleVue??? Any hint would be of great help.
Thank you

Looking at the TeleVue web site they have a page on the different ways of using their scopes http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=236 They may also offer adaptors for the eyepieces but haven't looked too closely. Probably the main problem will be keeping the camera at the right point near the eyepiece. Using DSLRs you really need to use some sort of external adaptor because of the weight and difficulty in getting the setup balanced. Which one you should go for depends on the size of the scope and position of the mount points. My main piece of advice would be to find a shop or if you have anything like a bird fair in your area where the different companies come along and demonstrate their kit. In the UK there are quite a few spread over the year but companies tend to cater more for our strange UK hobbies ;) . let us know how you get on.

PWG said:
Looking at the TeleVue web site they have a page on the different ways of using their scopes http://www.televue.com/engine/page.asp?ID=236 They may also offer adaptors for the eyepieces but haven't looked too closely. Probably the main problem will be keeping the camera at the right point near the eyepiece. Using DSLRs you really need to use some sort of external adaptor because of the weight and difficulty in getting the setup balanced. Which one you should go for depends on the size of the scope and position of the mount points. My main piece of advice would be to find a shop or if you have anything like a bird fair in your area where the different companies come along and demonstrate their kit. In the UK there are quite a few spread over the year but companies tend to cater more for our strange UK hobbies ;) . let us know how you get on.

As fas as I know TeleVue doesn't offer adapters for the lens, only for the camera body, but I´m still investigating. I live in the end of the world, or almost (Galicia, Spain), and I am not as lucky as to have a bird fair. What I do have are thosusands of dirds for me and two more ¨'rara avis' like me.
I´ll let you know if i find a solution, and if not i'll keep up with the Ranger with no lense. Thanks a lot.

PWG said:
It's possible that the scope is focusing to a point but the camera lens adjusts it to focus across the the whole of the sensor. I still use the 50mm lens so don't have that problem. One thing I have noticed is that when I zoom in to 60X I get a white circle covering most of the picture. I haven't been able to figure it out but must be the way the optics interact. I just don't zoom in past 40x now and it's all OK.

I took my camera and scope back to the store and tried holding an Oly E300 with a zoom lens up to the eye-piece of the scope. Focus was OK but much vignetting so tried a Rebel and it was fine in all respects, even when pulled back with the zoom somewhat. So, in what has turned out to be a somewhat expensive experiment, they've agreed to let me trade the E300 for the new Rebel XT which is also 8 meg.
(http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/canon_02172005_rebelxt_pr.html) so I'll just have to hope that it will work like your's with the 50 mm lens (which I'll get too instead of the zoom that comes with the camera). Here's hoping!

wildabel said:
I took my camera and scope back to the store and tried holding an Oly E300 with a zoom lens up to the eye-piece of the scope. Focus was OK but much vignetting so tried a Rebel and it was fine in all respects, even when pulled back with the zoom somewhat. So, in what has turned out to be a somewhat expensive experiment, they've agreed to let me trade the E300 for the new Rebel XT which is also 8 meg.
(http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/canon_02172005_rebelxt_pr.html) so I'll just have to hope that it will work like your's with the 50 mm lens (which I'll get too instead of the zoom that comes with the camera). Here's hoping!

I find it's always good to try before you buy. I've been stung too many times! Unfortunately nowadays people are going more and more for internet which is great for price but can be expensive if it doesn't do exactly what you want it to do.

Let us know how you get on with the new XT.

Hi guys,

Been following this thread with great interest. I have a Swarovski ST80HD scope and Canon Eos 20D. Does anyone know if these can be used together for digiscoping? The only small lens i have right now is the Canon 28-90mm USM. (Whats the best to use?) The tripod i use is a Manfrotto with the 128RCNAT head.

I'd certainly like to have a go at digiscoping with this camera and scope if its at all possible.

If you can make any recommendations to what i too will need, or give me a link to further information this will be greatly appreciated.

Paul, seems youre getting some great results. Keep up the good work... :t:

Tom

tracker said:
I have a Swarovski ST80HD scope and Canon Eos 20D. Does anyone know if these can be used together for digiscoping? The only small lens i have right now is the Canon 28-90mm USM. (Whats the best to use?) The tripod i use is a Manfrotto with the 128RCNAT head.

I can't see a problem with the scope and camera. You will need to decide how you want to mount it though. I posted an earlier version of my setup in this thread with the 18-55 ef-s that came with the camera which worked OK during the summer but I switched to the EFII 50mm f1.8 with also an upgrade for the eyepiece to the new zoom for the newer scope and haven't looked back. With the exception of using only 20-40x zoom I have had very few problems. I've just carted the whole lot around Norfolk and into Yorkshire for a few days with some good results though as yet little time to sort them.

With the Swaro I found it was too long for the camera adapters on the market at the end of last year but with a bit of extra iron work and a very persistent salesman we managed to get it to fit quite well. In the earlier post I put all the details about how it fitted and as it was precrash it should all still be here. The only drawback is the extra weight but it is balanced by the amount it takes out your wallet as it isn't cheap to find something simple to use with the setup.

If I get chance I'm hoping to get a few new photos into the gallery this weekend.

I also look forward to viewing your photos Paul. I have just bought a Swaro DCB adapter which looks to ideal for use with a DSLR - I just need the DSLR now ;)

Thanks for the information Paul,

Ive got some reading to catch up on. Sure looks very positive this approach. Lookin forward to seeing your results soon.

Thanks for the advice... :t:

Roger, thanks for supplying the link... :)

Tom

cthomas said:
I'm using a Swarovski ST80HD scope and Canon Eos 20D with a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. And I love it. You can go here to see how I have it set up and a picture of a Pinyon-Jay. http://www.pbase.com/cthomas/forum

Carl

Hi Carl,

Thanks for sharing your setup with us. I notice the scope you have is the ATS80HD, as opposed to the ST80HD. I have the latter. Do you know if an adapter is available for that version of scope? (if so, whats the make and model number?)

Also on the picture of the Jay, what sort of distance was did you shoot that from?

Thanks again,

Tom

Last edited:
Do you know if an adapter is available for that version of scope? I don't know but when I get home I will give you the email address of a Swarovski Rep who has been a big help to me. I'm guessing 50 or 60 feet. I resized the picture for the web. At 100% the Jay looking forward filled my 20 inch screen. The scope was set on 20x.

Carl

tracker said:
Hi Carl,

Thanks for sharing your setup with us. I notice the scope you have is the ATS80HD, as opposed to the ST80HD. I have the latter. Do you know if an adapter is available for that version of scope? (if so, whats the make and model number?)

Also on the picture of the Jay, what sort of distance was did you shoot that from?

Thanks again,

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back