• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caterpillar ID help needed (1 Viewer)

Mergus1

the Bavarian Birder
Hey guys,

still got some caters´ left from last year. Anybody gots a clue about them?
I´ll give the date here (might be useful;)):
Pic1: 28 July
Pic2: 04 August
Pic3: 15 July
Pic4: 17 July
Pic5: 19 July

Any help appreciated :t:

Attachments

• BF_CaterpillarID_0.JPG
    BF_CaterpillarID_0.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 46
  • BF_CaterpillarID_1.JPG
    BF_CaterpillarID_1.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 50
  • BF_CaterpillarID_2.JPG
    BF_CaterpillarID_2.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 44
  • BF_CaterpillarID_3.JPG
    BF_CaterpillarID_3.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 52
  • BF_CaterpillarID_4.JPG
    BF_CaterpillarID_4.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 57
Hi Marcel

No 1 Sawfly species.

No 2 Ruby Tiger moth (Phragmatobia fuliginosa)

No 3 Sloe Pug (if on sloe) but could easily be a hoverfly larvae too!

No 4 Setacious Hebrew character moth (Xestia C nigrum)

No 5 Is definately a Colioptera (Beetle) larvae But you will need a coliopterist for that one(of which I am not one).

Thanks very much!

The Ruby Tiger larva is possibly quite young (L2/3). The Caters I found this year were more 'hairy' and a lot browner. By the way, how many "Caterpillar-Levels" has a 'normal' moth? L1-?. Up until L4 or L5?

I´ve never seen a Setacious Hebrew character Caterpillar. Quite distinctive (like the moth itself), I see. Good to know ;)

I´m a bit confused about those beetle and sawfly larvae. Is there a clear feature to distinguish them from moths?

Last but not least, I´ve found another cater. I think this one should be a moth ;). Any ideas?

Attachments

• BF_CaterpillarID_5.JPG
    BF_CaterpillarID_5.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 49
O.k. maybe in the UK, or everywhere else, you don´t have the caterpillar levels called as L1, or whatever?
Anyway, you surely know what the cater shown above is called, don´t you ;)?

Thanks very much!

The Ruby Tiger larva is possibly quite young (L2/3). The Caters I found this year were more 'hairy' and a lot browner. By the way, how many "Caterpillar-Levels" has a 'normal' moth? L1-?. Up until L4 or L5?

I´ve never seen a Setacious Hebrew character Caterpillar. Quite distinctive (like the moth itself), I see. Good to know ;)

I´m a bit confused about those beetle and sawfly larvae. Is there a clear feature to distinguish them from moths?

Last but not least, I´ve found another cater. I think this one should be a moth ;). Any ideas?

Hi Marcel

The usual Englsh name for the caterpillar "levels" is instar and a Larva usualy moults five to six times (first instar,second instar etc)

Lepidoptera larvae never have more than five prolegs (the stumpy looking ones in the middle of the body)

Sawfly larvae always have more than five prolegs.

The legs at the front are true legs or thoracic legs Both Lepidoptera and sawflies have six of these.

Beetle larvae are usualy distinct but they all differ. You need to see a few to get a feel for them, having said that they are usually segmented and chitinous
and usually only have true legs.The heads usually have a beetle like look about them and they often have small antenna (though not always).

What was your Caterpillar feeding on? (it looks like Rose)

Thank you Colin!

So it´s called instar where you come from ;). I think I got it. L1, etc surely means the german word "Larvenstadium". Probably the abbreviation.

So it´s really not too difficult to distinguish those larvae from caterpillars. Caterpillars also look more...well..."yummy", right (apart from the spiky ones)? (And of course from Birds view ;))

Oh, where are my manners? The picture is taken on the 28 of August in the woods near our village. The foodplant is a kind of 'Rubus'-species. Maybe Rubus fructicosus (That´s the most common one, right?)? I´m sorry, I´m very bad at plants! And please don´t ask me about any english plant names, I´m glad enough to know my bird and the main dragonfly and moth names in english ;);).

Maybe this will help for the ID? if not, can one at least figure out if it´s, for example a noctuid, or whatever?

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back