• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Catharus thrush (northern Virginia, May 15, 2023) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, I took picture of this Catharus thrush in northern Virginia today.

I suppose it is a Swainson's which is pretty much expected during migration at this location. But I don't see the "buffy eye-ring"; in fact, I always had trouble to discern that in a Swainson's Thrush. But the strong eye-ring and overall coloration rule out the other candidates (Hermit, Veery or Gray-cheeked; it certainly is not a Wood Thrush).

Thanks,
Howard

Attachments

• thrush1.jpg
    thrush1.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 45
The light here looks overcast or shadowed, colors are dimmer than they should be, with a slight greenish tinge from foliage. The eye-ring in the photo looks a dingy pale grey on my monitor. (I suppose I've seen buff leather close to that color, but not when it was in good condition. The color term "light brownish-yellow" (by 1788) comes via the hue of buff leather --- the Online Etymology Dictionary) I think it's a reasonable conclusion that this is a Swainson's with the buffiness not showing up in the photo. It's certainly not a hermit, and I agree grey-cheeked is very unlikely with such a big, clear eye-ring.

Last edited:
Looks like a Swainson's Thrush to me. I am confused about your saying you do not see a buffy eye-ring. Would you call it some other color?
Thanks. According to Buff (colour) - Wikipedia, buff means " light brownish yellow, ochreous colour"; I always thought it to be reddish brown (which is consistent with the definition). In this picture, I only see a gray bird with a whitish eye-ring.

Perhaps my monitor is displaying a browner overall tone than yours. "Light brownish yellow, ochreous colour" describes rather well what I see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back