• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Catlins NZ (1 Viewer)

We spent last weekend away from Bushy Point to the Catlins which is about 1.5 hours drive from here.
Typical of most of New Zealand much of the indigenous forest has been cleared but fortunately enough remains to support healthy local bird populations.
The Catlins region is renowned for its birdlife including yellow eyed penguins. A lot of conservation efforts are going into habitat improvement including pest destruction for this penguin which nests in scrubland on the rocky shoreline. Hooker sea lions are commonly seen on some sandy beaches.
The Department of Conservation is putting considerable effort and finances to saving endangered Mohua or yellow head in the beech forest. We were fortunate to see Mohua for the 1st time.

Catlins

Hallo,

it is time that appear something from New Zealand. I thought there is nobody from Your country in the forum.
2003 I been on Stewart island and Ulva island.
From the coast I saw Little Blue Penguin fishing.
2002 I been on Nugget point to see Yellow Eyed Penguin. The forest of Catlins I did not saw.
2004 I been only on north island.
Maybe is time to come again to New Zealand.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back