• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cattle Egret chosen “roost site” on Fuerteventura. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Yesterday, circa a dozen Cattle Egrets were found in a tree roost at Caleta de Fuste, what I found odd was the location.
Immediately adjacent to an exceptionally bright (sodium flood light) above a very busy pedestrian walkway.
My question being, just a coincidence, or is there an advantage in being so exposed to such a light system as I’d have thought the opposite would be the case.
Anybody else encountered this sort of roosting phenomena?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8850.jpeg
    IMG_8850.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 16
Insects attracted to the light?
Increased heat from the light may attract invertebrates, however I’ve not noticed any feeding as such, although preening is often observed.
Once landed after arrival, they don’t appear to change position thereafter.
The odd thing is, I’ve holidayed at the same resort double digit times over perhaps the last 18 years and have never noted Cattle Egret in the immediate area before (save odd birds several miles away).
GWE once, Grey Heron several times and Little Egret every visit.
Presumably they don’t have any aerial predators to worry about, thus they can appear brazen with their roost site….but roosting in the floodlights doesn’t quite seem right somehow.😮

There is (or was a couple of years ago) a similar roost of Cattle Egrets at Corralejo on the same island. Can't vouch for how close it was to street lighting in this case, but again in palms long a lit suburban street with plenty of foot and vehicle traffic.

Yesterday, circa a dozen Cattle Egrets were found in a tree roost at Caleta de Fuste, what I found odd was the location.
Immediately adjacent to an exceptionally bright (sodium flood light) above a very busy pedestrian walkway.
My question being, just a coincidence, or is there an advantage in being so exposed to such a light system as I’d have thought the opposite would be the case.
Anybody else encountered this sort of roosting phenomena?

Cheers

There's a similar large roost of Cattle Egret next to the bus station in the middle of Arrecife on the nearby island of Lanzarote.

I have seen a very large Cattle Egret colony along a major road in Morocco in similar circumstances. I believe that this illustrates the capability of birds to feel safe in such environments once local incidental hunting ceases. Learned behaviour.

All the best

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back