• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Hummingbird vs Hawke Nature-Trek 9-27 x 56 (1 Viewer)

lburt

I'm looking for a very portable spotting scope to supplement binoculars for viewing and digiscoping. I'm looking at the US BHPhoto site for information.

Celestron makes a "Hummingbird" 9-27 x 56, $260US and a "Hummingbird" ED 9-27 x 56, $430US

Hawke Sport Optics makes a "Nature Trek 9-27 x 56" (Not ED), $200US.

All three scopes look identical. Upon close inspection of the specifications, the Celestrons have the same FOV (219ft-96ft), close focus (9.8ft), eye relief (15.0mm), and weight (20.8oz). The Hawke has better specs FOV (108-234), close focus (8.2ft), eye relief (20mm), and weight (20.3oz).

The spec differences imply that the Celestron and Hawke have different optical systems, though it's hard to be sure, and I'm sure the Celestron ED model is superior image-wise.

I'm leaning toward the Hawke because of its wider FOV and better eye relief.

In addition to direct viewing, I'd like to "digiscope" with my Iphone, primarily using the phone as a large viewer, also some photography.

The digiscope adapters I'm looking are the Meopta MeoPix Uni 2, $100US or the Novagrade Universal Double Gripper 9, $170US

Does anyone have experience or thoughts about these scopes or adapters, or any other models to suggest?

Regards,
Larry Burt
Portland, Oregon

My understanding is that this scope can take 1.25” eyepieces and this you can remove some of the limitations of the zoom eyepiece, though you’ll need to check posts to see which eyepieces people have tried.

Peter

The zoom on the Hummingbird is distinctly average generally and poor above about 20x, but a fixed astro eyepiece could give better views & performance but, see Peter's post above. Not all eyepieces will come to focus. No idea about the Hawke. There are also very similar variations on the same theme from Svbony, Docter Optics etc, with slightly different specs.

RB

Thanks for your replies. I'm not too concerned about performance above 20x. I'll be satisfied with "average" up to that.
I just received information from BHPhoto that the eyepiece on the Celestrons is NOT removable, but I've seen conflicting info elsewhere. Not sure about the Hawke. I'll try to verify by calling Celestron and Hawke tomorrow.
I found the Svbony 9-27 x 56 model, direct from Svbony's Hong Kong site, only $180, but I suspect shipping will be steep. Claims to be ED glass. Interestingly, the specs are slightly different from Hawke and Celestron: FOV 234-108, same as the Hawke, close focus 2 Meters (6.6 ft), and eye relief 18mm. Hard to know if it's the same scope as the Hawke or one of the Celestrons.
I don't see the Svbony 9x27 on Amazon, but they have a smaller 8-24 x 50.
Wider FOV at 264-126, 1.5M (5 ft) close focus, not ED, only $165.
Ebay US doesn't have the 9x27 Svbony, but it's on British Ebay at a much higher price.
Can't find out much about Docter, haven't found anyone online carrying their scopes.
Any thoughts on the digiscope adapters?

Last edited:
I found Hawke Nature Trek 9-27x56 just too good..Some samples attached

Attachments

• 20FAF83D-F89A-4A26-8481-3F31CBE84D01.jpeg
    13.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 17388333-B9D2-4973-B086-EA76B5CA09E6.jpeg
    17388333-B9D2-4973-B086-EA76B5CA09E6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • B04ABA1C-E42C-48B2-B59D-5DE89350DF3D.jpeg
    B04ABA1C-E42C-48B2-B59D-5DE89350DF3D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • A0A81196-2C47-4242-BD40-DAF645DB6295.jpeg
    11.1 MB · Views: 23
I swapped out the stock zoom on my 50mm Hummingbird scope with the Celestron X-Cel’LX 7mm eyepiece. It gave the little scope a new lease on life. Much wider fov and brighter and sharper towards the edges.
On Baader’s website they have a photo of the Hyperion zoom Mk IV. mounted on a Hummingbird so I assume that will work as a much better zoom than the stock zoom.
Still tempted to get the Baader since it’ll probably fit on one of my mythical future scopes.

Thanks for your replies. I'm not too concerned about performance above 20x. I'll be satisfied with "average" up to that.
I just received information from BHPhoto that the eyepiece on the Celestrons is NOT removable, but I've seen conflicting info elsewhere. Not sure about the Hawke. I'll try to verify by calling Celestron and Hawke tomorrow.
I found the Svbony 9-27 x 56 model, direct from Svbony's Hong Kong site, only $180, but I suspect shipping will be steep. Claims to be ED glass. Interestingly, the specs are slightly different from Hawke and Celestron: FOV 234-108, same as the Hawke, close focus 2 Meters (6.6 ft), and eye relief 18mm. Hard to know if it's the same scope as the Hawke or one of the Celestrons.
I don't see the Svbony 9x27 on Amazon, but they have a smaller 8-24 x 50.
Wider FOV at 264-126, 1.5M (5 ft) close focus, not ED, only $165.
Ebay US doesn't have the 9x27 Svbony, but it's on British Ebay at a much higher price.
Can't find out much about Docter, haven't found anyone online carrying their scopes.
Any thoughts on the digiscope adapters?
The eyepiece on the ‘ 56 ed’ is removable . I have the excel 18 mm , the Regal m2 zoom ( stock) and a baader mark iv .. the excel ep works flawlessly and produce a nice wide angle veiw ( 11x) The stock Regal m2 zoom works great and is a big improvement over the stock hummingbird zoom ( not good) The stock Regal almost seems to be sharp at the high end of its range also . The bh mark iv works but seems to have an issue at the maximum power but works well through the rest of its range …. Im looking at getting a 5 mm ep and am pretty sure the 5 mm excel will work well , based on what i have read here and on the web . But i would like to consider the baader 5 mm if anyone has any info on a good 5 mm ep that is compatable with both the regal m2 and hummingbird any info would be welcome .

I can personally recommend this company for phone case and adapters to fit to eyepieces.
I have an iPhone 13 for which they make a tailored case plus separate eyepiece adapters for both my Swarovski ATS and my Opticron MM4 60mm.

No idea what the US prices are - good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back