• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron's new 7x33 (1 Viewer)

typo

Celestron have added a 9.1* FOV 7x33 to their Granite range which certainly looks very interesting. Oh, and a 9x33 as well

FOV 477ft / 159m
ER 15mm
Weight 21.2 oz / 601 g
Size 5.5"x4.9"x2.1" / 140mmx125mmx55mm

Adorama price $389.95

I had a quick look at the Granite x42 and x50s a while back. They didn't seem to have quite the fit and finish of some in the price range, but apart from being a little soft at the edges and a bit of CA in the higher powers I found them to be optically pretty good.

Anyone seen it yet?

David

http://www.celestron.com/sports_outdoors/celestron-granite-7x33.html

The 7x33 seems particularly interesting, what a monster FOV.
Ed glass and lifetime warranty, chinese optics keep increasing and inceasing in quality in the middle priced roofs segment.
I never tried them, i didnt even know they existed. That could be a good choice over a Bushnell elite 7x26 if they didn't weight 600 grams. They need to improve their roof weights.

Somebody has obviously been listening to those requesting a 7-32/35 bin besides ZR, Bushnell and Vortex though I believe all of those models have been discontinued or are about to be?

Love the specs. I wonder how large it is going to be.

15mm eye relief is pretty tight..If that is measured from the glass itself,as is usually the case in the type of "optimized" specification list that manufacturers generally release, the actual ER could be too short for many users..That ,on the other hand,takes pretty good care of fuzzy edges right there

I emailed the UK distributor asking about availability and price and got this in return.

"Unfortunately we do not have any ETA for them but it may be late Spring/early Summer before we have them here in the UK"

We'll need to be patient. Hopefully someone in the US will be able to check them out in the meantime.

David

I had a quick look through them at the Spacecoast Bird Fair last week. I was under the impression that the Granite line is another flavor of the Chinese ED bins (Promaster/Zen-Ray/Hawke etc). So, I think they may be related to the Zen-Ray ED2 7x36. Conditions in the exhibit hall were not great for evaluating bins, but they seemed decent. Build quality was good on the sample I tried. No play in the focusing.

Here is a link to the Celestron page:

http://www.celestron.com/portal/celestron-granite-7x33.html

adorama.com has them in stock.

The Granite line is definitely a China-bin ED but I think it's not of the same lineage as the ZR/Hawke/etc. The 42mm versions are about an inch shorter than the Zen ED's. I think they are more closely related to the Alpen Wings ED lineage. Although I wouldn't be surprised if these two gene pools aren't totally allopatric :p

Regardless, this is a very intriguing pair of bins. 21oz, 477' FOV.... if they have managed to put the optics of the Zen ED2 7x36 into a smaller package with better build and ergos, I will be happy. My expectation is for some soft edges, but I can handle that.

BTW here's a review of the 8x42 Granite: http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Celestron8x42Granite-93.htm

Celestron have added a 9.1* FOV 7x33 to their Granite range which certainly looks very interesting. Oh, and a 9x33 as well

FOV 477ft / 159m
ER 15mm
Weight 21.2 oz / 601 g
Size 5.5"x4.9"x2.1" / 140mmx125mmx55mm

Adorama price $389.95

I had a quick look at the Granite x42 and x50s a while back. They didn't seem to have quite the fit and finish of some in the price range, but apart from being a little soft at the edges and a bit of CA in the higher powers I found them to be optically pretty good.

Anyone seen it yet?

David

http://www.celestron.com/sports_outdoors/celestron-granite-7x33.html

477' fov at 7x strikes me as nothing special. Nikon Action achieves more than that at a fraction of the.price.

477' fov at 7x strikes me as nothing special. Nikon Action achieves more than that at a fraction of the.price.

True, but it's unusual in a roof design and it has ED glass, which ads at least $150-$200 to a bin's cost. The only other roof with that wide a FOV is the 7x36 ED2, which I suspect this new bin is close cousin of. Not sure what the close focus is on the 7x35 Action, but I'm sure it's not 6.5 ft. The 8x40 model's close focus is 16.5 ft. So it also offers the advantage of a good close focus.

A couple members have been clamoring for a 7x30, so this might bin might interest them, it interests me. I've been wanting a 7x42 for the winter months, although I can't really use a 6mm exit pupil, so I'd be carrying more weight than need be.

The 7x36 ED2 was ideal for me in some ways - the ED glass, the configuration, the FOV, the ergonomics, the focuser speed, the good depth of field. The 7x was also helpful, because my hands are not as steady with bulky clothing on since it tends to pull on my arms. If not for the gobs and gobs of pincushion and the narrow sweet spot in the left EPs of both samples, they'd still be my "go to" bins in the winter. I had been considering the ZR 7x42 ED3, but it has an anti-clockwise focuser.

Although I'm sure they are not "the pinnacle of optical and mechanical design" as they are advertised, nor would they be "perfect" for Astronomical Viewing, but if the Granites don't have the same issues that the ED2 had, and are otherwise acceptable, they could become my SE/EII winter substitute.

I'm a fair weather birder for the most part so I couldn't see investing a lot of money in a premium roof even I were rolling in it, but something for those occasions when I want to run out of the house without having to cool down my porros would be nice to have, particularly if the focuser is unaffected by the cold. The ED glass and 7x would also help reduce the CA I see more in the winter than any other time of year.

Thanks for posting that news, David.

Here's a review of the 10x42 model.

Note this comment: "I could see the lesser quality image in the Hawke Frontiers and but I have to say that the Granites stood very closely to the Swarovski models. The only differnce being slight fringing and minimal less qaulity on contrast."

This was the member's first post and I'm not sure how much experience he has with binoculars. If the Granites are really that good, I'll be singing "Yankee Doodle"!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=209990

<B>

Last edited:
.... and it has ED glass, which ads at least $150-$200 to a bin's cost. ..... I had been considering the ZR 7x42 ED3, but it has an anti-clockwise focuser.....

Brock,

Firstly, you should note, not all ED glass is created equal - there are many, many, many grades ..... probably from quite cheap and cruddy (but still qualifying for ED status) all the way through to truly high $ FL, or whatever the latest and greatest is. A lot of this ED glass used in the Chin bins won't cost anywhere near that $150-$200. What retailers can try and 'gouge' for it, is another matter. ;)

Secondly, FWIW, the Zen-Ray 7x43 ED3 has a clockwise to infinity focuser. Albino's rates CA correction a score of 8.7 (low centre and edge). Compare this to 7 (negligible centre /medium edge) for the Nikon 8x32SE, 9.3 (Corrected splendidly centre /very well edge, Almost perfect!) for the Zeiss 8x42FL, 8.5 (Very low centre /slight edge) for Nikon 8x42EDG, 8.3 (very low centre /low edge) for the Swift Audubon 820 ED 8.5x44, and 7.2 (almost invisible centre /a bit higher than medium very edge) for the Swarovski 8.5x42. So nothing too shabby at all about that performance, in that company.

The weight of the 7x43ED3 seems lighter than specified, and of course with an open hinge design, there's a good deal of real estate for a stable grip (I end up criss-crossing onto the opposite barrels with fingers - and it provides a rock steady grip once you get it sorted). For the small outlay (considering the bang for the buck), maybe you should put aside the druthering, and put some time into finding one with a good (no backlash) focuser, and decently matched barrels ..... I'm sure you'll be pleased :t: - we may not hear from you for months on end over winter as you stare endlessly in wonder at bare branches against diffuse bright grey skies!

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Brock.

Do not read too much into these comments on the Granite range as I only spent a couple of minutes each with the x42s and the 10x50 but I did spend quite a bit longer with the 12x50.

I thought the view characteristics were different to the Hawke Frontier ED. There were no straight lines to check what was happening, but the Granites did not seem to have the same degree of magnification distortion that trouble me with the Hawkes. As I recall, the edges, while not bad, were not quite as good as the Hawkes. The colour balance was probably a bit more neutral. Not sure about sharpness. The day wasn't as bright as I like to pass judgement, but I normally find the Hawkes above average for the price, and the Celestrons appeared pretty good. The hard plastic housing would not be my favourite finish of choice. They seemed a little smaller and lighter than the Hawkes. The Granites had more CA. Still minimal in the 8x, but creeping in on the 10x and obvious at the edges on the 12x. Having said that, it was the 12x50 that appealed the most. Yes the CA and the edge softening was a little more pronounces than the rest of the range, but the fairly large sweet spot was very sweet indeed. Best of all it was very steady in my hands. Guess it was the balance as I usually have problems with lighter weight roofs.

I don't know what any of that might suggest for the 7x33. I hope low magnification distortion, I'd expect low CA, a neutral colour balance, a large and very sharp sweet spot, and reasonable if not perfect edges. If my guess is right, it sounds like it would be worth a look.

David

Last edited:
True, but it's unusual in a roof design and it has ED glass, which ads at least $150-$200 to a bin's cost. The only other roof with that wide a FOV is the 7x36 ED2, which I suspect this new bin is close cousin of. Not sure what the close focus is on the 7x35 Action, but I'm sure it's not 6.5 ft. The 8x40 model's close focus is 16.5 ft. So it also offers the advantage of a good close focus.

A couple members have been clamoring for a 7x30, so this might bin might interest them, it interests me. I've been wanting a 7x42 for the winter months, although I can't really use a 6mm exit pupil, so I'd be carrying more weight than need be.

<B>

Beyond bragging rights and apparently adding to the price I'm not clear on what ED glass will do for the view through that 7x33 bin. I suspect not much. My point with the Nikon Action is that a very wide view and very good optical performance at 7x can be found at a reasonable price.

The 7x36 ED2 was ideal for me in some ways - the ED glass, the configuration, the FOV, the ergonomics, the focuser speed, the good depth of field. The 7x was also helpful, because my hands are not as steady with bulky clothing on since it tends to pull on my arms. If not for the gobs and gobs of pincushion and the narrow sweet spot in the left EPs of both samples, they'd still be my "go to" bins in the winter. I had been considering the ZR 7x42 ED3, but it has an anti-clockwise focuser.

Although I'm sure they are not "the pinnacle of optical and mechanical design" as they are advertised, nor would they be "perfect" for Astronomical Viewing, but if the Granites don't have the same issues that the ED2 had, and are otherwise acceptable, they could become my SE/EII winter substitute.

I'm a fair weather birder for the most part so I couldn't see investing a lot of money in a premium roof even I were rolling in it, but something for those occasions when I want to run out of the house without having to cool down my porros would be nice to have, particularly if the focuser is unaffected by the cold. The ED glass and 7x would also help reduce the CA I see more in the winter than any other time of year.

Thanks for posting that news, David.

Here's a review of the 10x42 model.

Note this comment: "I could see the lesser quality image in the Hawke Frontiers and but I have to say that the Granites stood very closely to the Swarovski models. The only differnce being slight fringing and minimal less qaulity on contrast."

This was the member's first post and I'm not sure how much experience he has with binoculars. If the Granites are really that good, I'll be singing "Yankee Doodle"!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=209990

<B>
Brock. Brock. Let's see what kind of binoculars do you have. The SE and the EII. Hmmmm. The two best porro's in the world and probably the two best optical binoculars made and you really think a $390.00 Chinese porro is going to satisfy you! Gimme a break. This Chinese binocular is another pipe dream. The only roof that is going to come close to wetting your willy is an alpha roof. So just save your money and watch E-bay closely. I think your best shot is a Swaro 8x32 EL. Your used to excellent optics and this Celestron is not going to cut it. Take my word for it. HaHa!

Last edited:
Me thinks that you thought the pipe dream came true at one point.....

. This is the high point of these binoculars! They are absolutely an alpha view binocular for 1/5 the price. AMAZING! The view is as good as any roof prism I have seen including Zeiss FL's, Leica's, Nikon LXL's you name it. I used my resolution test by reading fine print at a set distance and compared them to my Leica 7x42 BN's, Nikon 8x32 LXL's, and my Nikon 8x32 SE's. They beat the Leica's and the Nikons and were only out resolved by the porro-prism Nikon 8x32 SE's. The Nikon SE's are a little sharper but they are some of the best binoculars you can get for resolution. I compared them all outside and again they have an amazing view. They were better than the Nikon LXL and even slightly better than the Leica's. I experienced no "Black Beaning" when the IPD was properly adjusted.The Nikon SE's again were slightly sharper but their view is different than the Zen Rays with the Zen Rays having a slightly larger FOV. I spent an hour looking close to the sun looking for flare and at black objects against a bright sky comparing CA and I came away liking the view of the Zen Ray over all the other roof prisms and in some ways preferring the view of the Zen Ray over the Nikon SE. The Nikon SE is sharper but the Zen Rays control CA better with their ED glass. The Nikon SE to me is still the ultimate view that can be had but for a roof prism at their price point these are awesome binoculars. The newer ED binoculars like the Nikon ED may be better but I have not had a chance too look through them.

So, Dennis, we couldn't believe you then eh? So what is it that makes you think anybody is going to believe you now? You can't/won't/don't hold a coherent opinion on any given binocular through an entire thread. Nobody knows what you will say next. Seems if you knew what you really were talking about you would be more careful of your opinion, and that opinion would be a lot more long lived and constant. Yes, I do realize opinions can change, it's just that one can get whiplash trying to follow you. ;)

Personally, if spending $$ was a little freer right now, I'd likely buy one of these for grins at least. Looks like it might be close to an open frame Swift Eaglet with a wider field. I wonder what the focus is like on this?

Last edited:
So, Dennis, we couldn't believe you then eh? So what is it that makes you think anybody is going to believe you now? You can't/won't/don't hold a coherent opinion on any given binocular through an entire thread. Nobody knows what you will say next. Seems if you knew what you really were talking about you would be more careful of your opinion, and that opinion would be a lot more long lived and constant. Yes, I do realize opinions can change, it's just that one can get whiplash trying to follow you. ;)

Personally, if spending $$ was a little freer right now, I'd likely buy one of these for grins at least. Looks like it might be close to an open frame Swift Eaglet with a wider field. I wonder what the focus is like on this?
Somebody buy one and tell us if you like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back