• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central North Carolina, USA - Mystery Bird Calling at Night (1 Viewer)

tazer72

United States
Good morning,

I had a mystery bird calling last night and I'm hoping someone here can help me figure it out. The audio below was recorded at approximately 9:30PM Eastern Time. It's a very rural area south of Chapel Hill, NC near a large beaver pond (approx 5 acre pond.) The pond has a wintering population of Canada Geese on it, about a dozen, and gets Wood Ducks and Hooded Mergansers.

The audio (linked below) contains a series of whistles. The whistles are in 2 pitches (900hz and 1200hz), which makes me think it either 2 birds calling to each other or a single bird changing pitch.

The 'low bird' calls once at 3.5s, followed by the 'high bird' calling 3 times (5.5s, 7.5s, 9.5s), followed by the 'low bird' calling at 11.5s. The last 2 calls of the 'high bird' are distinct 2-note calls, like tu-tooo. And the last call of the 'low bird' is also 2-note but has a distinct downward slur to it. I've attached a copy of the Audacity spectrogram and linked to the audio on iNaturalist below.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• mystery-bird-1.jpg
    mystery-bird-1.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 14
Very hard to tell with all the background noise. The only owl that has such a high pitch would be Eastern Screech-Owl, but it doesn't sound right for that. Otherwise I can't think of any other birds this could be. Other animals are probably a possibility.

qwerty5, I agree with it not being a Screech-Owl. Interestingly, that's what BirdNet ID'd it as but with a low confidence, otherwise I never would have found it in the audio. It really is perplexing. I might end up reclassifying it as animal and seeing if that garners any more feedback on iNat.

jmepler, Tundra Swan certainly wouldn't be impossible for the location. I reviewed some TS vocalizations on eBird and it doesn't seem to fit, but I do appreciate the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back