• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you like this for a Barn owl? Central North Carolina, US (1 Viewer)

tazer72

United States
Good morning,

After hearing a Barn Owl in my area last month I've set up some microphones at home to try and detect one. Lots of interesting noises out there at night, most unidentifiable. I did get a Great Horned Owl, a couple of Barred Owls, and a possible Eastern Screech-Owl recently. Last night the mics picked up this screech:

I think the waveform looks good for Barn. Pretty monotone, wide spectrum (1800kHz to 8000+kHz), very static-y, not much banding. The only thing that gives me any pause is that gap in the call. It called once on the NE side of my house then very distantly called again 60s later on the NW side of my house (I've got 2 mics setup). So it was, seemingly, traveling from the direction of a nearby beaver pond to a nearby agricultural field (both within a mile).

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mark

I'm definitely not an expert in nocturnal call ID, but in relation to other owls I think this sounds good for Barn (for the reasons you've mentioned above). Any other alternatives would be a non-avian species, I'm guessing.

Thanks all. I've gotten positive feedback for Barn Owl on iNat as well. Just wanted to run it by a few folks before putting it into eBird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back