• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Central NY-Old Mother Giggle Gaggle wonders- can you tell who left these tracks-they're not great cause can't see shape of paws or claws (1 Viewer)

whatdouthink

Hello from always snow covered central NY! I've seen foxes in the backyard in the past but many more groundhogs, rabbits, etc. Recently I've seen a lot of tracks like the ones I'll post here. Online resources suggest fox given the straight line. I'd love to see one. But are there any other things they could be? I spent an entire winter thinking I was watching beavers swim in canal only to find they were probably muskrats-disappointing. I'd love to see a fox. What do you think left these prints? Snow melted too much to see the actual paw and claws. {The system will only take one brief video but I'll see if I can also post pics).What do you think?? Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• fox or not? first 7 seconds .mp4
    19.6 MB
The tracks are too washed out and featureless to tell. The only feature I can make out is the straight line they form when traveling. Fox have very narrow chests and that is one identifying feature of their tracks.

The tracks are too washed out and featureless to tell. The only feature I can make out is the straight line they form when traveling. Fox have very narrow chests and that is one identifying feature of their tracks.
thanks for your reply. It snowed more but they area still washed out. I think there may be tracks from different animals but hard to tell. Those big tracks next to the animal tracks are easier to tell-human with phone camera.

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpeg
    IMG_1304.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1298.jpeg
    IMG_1298.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1296.jpeg
    IMG_1296.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1314.jpeg
    IMG_1314.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
thanks for your reply. It snowed more but they area still washed out. I think there may be tracks from different animals but hard to tell. Those big tracks next to the animal tracks are easier to tell-human with phone camera.
Now there are some better tracks and I'm still wondering if the tracks in the snow are from a fox. So If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate hearing them. The tracks may be from two different animals. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• a few paw prints.JPG
    a few paw prints.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • string of tracksJPG.JPG
    string of tracksJPG.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • paw print.JPG
    paw print.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1594.JPG
    IMG_1594.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • individual print.JPG
    individual print.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
I agree, it appears that it is a rather narrow (thin) animal.

thanks for your reply. I couldn't get good images. I've seen a fox on the property a few times before -but also ground hogs, rabbits and deer. As much as I'd like better images, I'd rather no more snow. thanks again!

Certainly no expert, but fox seems plausible. One track shows claws (i think), which eliminates any cat options.
Deer are wider and usually one can see the split hoof print, ground hogs don't have the high stepping prints you show and rabbits usually have distinct prints from their front and back feet.
Please keep us posted, maybe during mud season you'll get some additional prints.

Certainly no expert, but fox seems plausible. One track shows claws (i think), which eliminates any cat options.
Deer are wider and usually one can see the split hoof print, ground hogs don't have the high stepping prints you show and rabbits usually have distinct prints from their front and back feet.
Please keep us posted, maybe during mud season you'll get some additional prints.
Thanks.. Just saw your post. We don't have a mud season or a spring. It goes from snow to mow. UGH! but I am guessing fox and I've seen them here before. Thanks again for taking the time to constribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back