• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chaffinches on Feeders (1 Viewer)

MattG

United Kingdom
Sorry if this is a silly question but it's bugging me lol. Can anyone tell me why Chaffinches struggle to use the feeders when the other finches such as Goldfinch and Greenfinch have no issues ?
Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sorry if this is a silly question but it's bugging me lol. Can anyone tell me why Chaffinches struggle to use the feeders when the other finches such as Goldfinch and Greenfinch have no issues ?
Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š
Someone might have the specifics, but presumably it's to do with the mobility of their toe/foot joints? I mean Chaffinches feed on the ground (or on horizontal branches or even twigs) but never (?) on thinner ends or upside down etc as the others can ...

??

Last edited:
Itโ€™s a good question as in our garden the Chaffinches never try to jump onto the feeders but Brambling (sometimes) successfully do.

Itโ€™s a good question as in our garden the Chaffinches never try to jump onto the feeders but Brambling (sometimes) successfully do.
It just got me thinking why they are so different. I know they are ground feeding birds but the Chaffinchs in my garden are trying to successfully cling onto the feeders but really struggle too. That's even with food on the ground lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back