• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chile, Atacama desert, small bird looking like sandpiper (1 Viewer)

djolof

Hello,

Here is a small bird seen in april in Chile Atacama desert, feeding in a salty lagoon.
It looks for me like some kind of sandpiper.
Does someone has an idea of its specie ?
Cheers

Attachments

• Chile, Atacama desert, small bird.jpg
    Chile, Atacama desert, small bird.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 90
Although the legs look black this seems like a Least Sandpiper to me. The structure seems much better for that species. It has almost no primary projection, so I'm not sure it can be a Baird's.

Other image

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your answers.
If this can help I post a second image, bigger than the first one.
On this new one the legs appear to be completly black

Okay - looks more like a Baird's on the second picture, where the primary projection is much clearer (as is everything else). Not sure why the better picture wasn't posted initially.

Seemingly a good example of the potential pitfalls in an ID from one photo - overall impression and some key features seem different between the two photos. Baird's for me ..... now ......:)

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back