• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (3 Viewers)

Mmm, lots of signs of spring it sounds like.

I got out last week (Wed.), just slow to write about the trip, and there were some minor signs of spring. I went to the Beidaihe reservoirs, where the main waterway is undergoing extremely major construction. I couldn't really make out the sign explaining the project, and managed to ignore the ones that said it was a worksite now. Kind of noisy, but there were birds still. (Lots of gulls in the shallow areas of the "river" - sorry, no ids from me on those guys.)

Around the first small pool in the reeds, I was happy to find that a flock of birds was not all tree sparrows - there seemed to be quite a few vinous-throated parrotbills involved too. Actually at one point something startled the birds, and it was interesting to see the sparrows go up into a tree and the parrotbills just go deeper into the reeds. I didn't get great views of the parrotbills since they like to hide, but a few came out in open sunnier spots for a bit. (I did at that point also attract two Chinese workmen who were curious about what I was up to, but weren't overly impressed that I was watching "sparrows" apparently.)

The pool also held little egrets which I hadn't seen in several months, so that was a definite sign of spring. There was still a bit of snow around, which does provide nice camouflage for egrets! I enjoyed watching a larger gull swallow two sizable fish (which he must have caught while paddling around the pond, but I managed to miss both snatches!) - impressive to see what big fish they were!

Lots of white wagtails around, running among the gulls, walking on ice ledges and flying overhead. There were a few small unidentified single passerines too (and indescribable as well |:(|). I got a better view of grey-capped pygmy woodpecker than the last time, but still not as long as I would have liked. I was pleased to see a hoopoe - hadn't seen one for quite a while. There were also two male Daurian redstarts, or I saw the same one two places ;) (Had one around all winter last year, so not sure if they count as new spring birds or not.) I saw an unusual bunting too, and had decent views of it, but my fingers had frozen and weren't so useful for guide perusing at that point (I told myself "it's so distinctive, I'll recognize it in the book later" - untrue :-C) .

After Dong Bei wrote about his ducks, I did a little preparation to try to identify some possible new duck visitors (well most ids on ducks would be good for me ;) ). However, I only saw two pairs - a mallard pair and spotbill pair each - not too exotic! It was a very cold day - and after two hours I was about frozen and headed home (northeast winds are cold!). No sign of cranes...

My last "spot" of the day was getting to meet Mike - regular visitor to BDH over the years who had seen some of the cranes in previous days, and had been looking for but not yet found the brown-eared bulbul (though he had run into several Chinese birders looking for it).

Not a bad day considering windy cold weather and an unpromisingly looking construction project at the entrance!

News from Beidaihe.
Qinhuangdao People's Park - 42 Waxwings there, not sure on species, probably Japanese.

The last few days from the Sandflats, Beridaihe - 40 Red-crowned Cranes plus three groups of Siberian Cranes, Common Cranes and Hooded Cranes flying north. Also Common Cranes feeding up at Qilihai.

News from Beidaihe.
Qinhuangdao People's Park - 42 Waxwings there, not sure on species, probably Japanese.

Hi Rockfowl,

Thanks for that! Do you have any idea how recently they were seen? I guess they could just be through for a day or two? I'm tied up mostly, but could try on Friday maybe....

Will try to remember to keep looking up for cranes, but very low ceiling again today.

Hi Rockfowl,

Thanks for that! Do you have any idea how recently they were seen? I guess they could just be through for a day or two? I'm tied up mostly, but could try on Friday maybe....

Will try to remember to keep looking up for cranes, but very low ceiling again today.

re Waxwings - Sunday/Monday I believe. They would probably stay if there is still a food source there ie ornamental berries and such like. Unfortunately the birders that informed me have now left the area and it was an add on to the crane news, hence not knowing which waxwing.

On 7 Apr at the southeast corner of Shanghai,I saw my first spring Oriental Skylark,contrasting well with Eurasian Skylark around,and even two Asian Short-toed Lark(much paler than both ES and OS,with short bill,short tail).No idea where the two ASL came from,in the strong NW wind.Just after that,a Dalmatian Pelican flew in with 3 Grey Heron,around and around,quite low,and went on northward.

I've been terrible about getting things written up! Here's a modest report of new birds sighted on campus: three Hoopoe seen for the first time, the small party foraging through a postage stamp park area just across from the building I teach in. Today I saw two red-flanked Bluetails - it must be an overflow from Shi Jin's report of dozens in Beidaihe, but definitely a first for me here. Two weeks ago as I was walking on campus with a friend, a Great Spotted started drumming - first time I'd seen one of those on campus too - very nice of it to show off to my friend who is just starting to notice birds (for some unknown reason ;)).

It's nice to see that though our campus environment doesn't support many species, at least it's a stop through for a greater variety of brief visitors than one might think.

Speaking of residents, I've wondering about our Chinese bulbuls. Though they are quite numerous, I've not seen anything that looks like their nests, which I've read are messy/loose cups in trees. Would they be hidden in some dense conifers? I can't see anything in the still leafless trees.

The only nesting Chinese Bulbuls I recall seeing were in dense conifers at the front of the Jinshan Hotel, so yes, you're probably right.

Hello there,

I have enjoyed reading this thread a great deal..

I am visiting China (Beijing) this week for work and am planning to take a few days extra to do some birding. I was thinking of travelling to Beidaihe (staying at the JinShan Hotel) and trying some of the local sites. I understand that Happy Island is not accessible until the end of April, so that is out but it seems that there are plenty of good sites in the Beidaihe area in any case..

My questions are:

i) do you know of a good map of the area that marks the best sites? (eg the salt flats, lighthouse point etc)?
ii) how is it best to get around? Can it be managed on a bike? Or will I need to arrange a car/driver?
ii) what sort of weather/temperature can I expect later this week?
iii) is anyone around in that area who might be interested in accompanying me to some of the local sites?

Thanks a lot!

Terry

Hi Terry,

A few quick thoughts on Beidaihe.
1. For maps/locations: here's my favorite maps so far. Rockfowl has posted some useful pictures/explanations somewhere here in this forum as well. (There's lots of info around, but you'll have to do a bit of research.)

2. transport: if you're looking at the 1/2 dozen sites in town, bike is okay, but be prepared for the hills (maybe Larry who was just biking around here would like to comment) - getting up to Lotus Hills will be a little exercise, but depends on the person. If you want to go to Yanghe, that's a bit long, but mostly flat. Qilihai would be a huge excursion on bike. But as you say, lots to see just within 3-4 miles.

3. It's been "unseasonably cold" the last few weeks, so it's hard to say about next week. However, it's always breezy (or last week icy cold wind!), so will be cooler here than Beijing. (That is check accuweather or someone for Beijing, and estimate some degrees cooler).

4. Not likely I'll have much time, though may possibly have a few hours, pm me. Maybe someone is coming this way from Beijing?

cheers!

Gretchen

Thanks Gretchen for the information, I was just to post a second to Terry's plea for more information. I'm based in Beijing, but have yet to make a trip to Beidaihe. I'll be there this weekend for just one or two days, but hope to be able to use much of it looking for birds.
Do you have suggestions for likely hot spots this time of year? I've looked around the web, (www.drmartinwilliams.com in particular has a wealth of suggested sites and map), but it's difficult to tell from these resources which sites are still accessible/productive. I won't have our car for this trip, so taxi and foot would be my transportation.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

PS It's been "unseasonably cold" since October here in Beijing. I though Beidaihe was a sunny Baywatch paradise, compared to our grim Mordor-like existence?

Well, perhaps sunnier, but not always these days. Actually, at least half of the year we are cooler here, though in deep winter, perhaps a bit milder.

As to what's still viable, I would say most of the places you've read about should be okay, so far as I know (though others may say more). The one spot being torn up is the reservoir. Last week the reed beds on the other side of the bridge were still undisturbed, but I can't tell what it will be like tomorrow, much less 5 days from now! The reservoir itself... well if you push your way past the construction, I think there's still a lot of places to see things, and some places may even be more accessible! But there is the construction noise and surely the original viewing areas from the bridge are ruined totally.

As to what has been a real "hot-spot" of late - I'll leave others who are more high caliber birders to answer that!

Right of course about Martin's website - I just regard that as the basic "bible"! Also assume you've seen all Shi Jin has posted on his China 2010 thread about Beidaihe....

Glad to have you write brian, and I hope you and Terry will share whatever your findings are!!

Hi Terry,

1. For maps/locations: here's my favorite maps so far. Rockfowl has posted some useful pictures/explanations somewhere here in this forum as well. (There's lots of info around, but you'll have to do a bit of research.)

2. transport: if you're looking at the 1/2 dozen sites in town, bike is okay, but be prepared for the hills (maybe Larry who was just biking around here would like to comment) - getting up to Lotus Hills will be a little exercise, but depends on the person. If you want to go to Yanghe, that's a bit long, but mostly flat. Qilihai would be a huge excursion on bike. But as you say, lots to see just within 3-4 miles.

3. It's been "unseasonably cold" the last few weeks, so it's hard to say about next week. However, it's always breezy (or last week icy cold wind!), so will be cooler here than Beijing. (That is check accuweather or someone for Beijing, and estimate some degrees cooler).

4. Not likely I'll have much time, though may possibly have a few hours, pm me. Maybe someone is coming this way from Beijing?

cheers!

Gretchen

Thanks Gretchen, very helpful.

I will probably be in Beidaihe from Friday 16 to Sunday 18 April (returning Sunday evening) - if any other birder is around and wants some company, PM me.

Another question: how regular are the trains between Beijing and Beidaihe and is it easy to buy tickets? I am assuming that they are fairly frequent and that tickets can be bought at the station but I have learned in life that assumptions are dangerous, so confirmation would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Terry

Another question: how regular are the trains between Beijing and Beidaihe and is it easy to buy tickets? I am assuming that they are fairly frequent and that tickets can be bought at the station but I have learned in life that assumptions are dangerous, so confirmation would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Terry

I'm sure Gretchen can help you out here but make sure you get the faster train, there's one around nine in the morning I think, gets you in around 11 something...

Best sites, as indicated on Steve's 1st map for you should be the Jinshan grounds itself, Lighthouse Point, Friendship Hotel especially concentrating on the area around the 'playground' and underneath the mature trees (should be thrushes around), Sandflats (southern corner) and maybe the reservoir if the disturbance is not too bad.
If there is a northerly based wind, even slight, I'd recommend the Lotus Hills watchpoint, should be raptors moving through and it can be good on the walk up along the stream for passerines.

Hi Terry,

cheers!

Gretchen

I'm sure Gretchen can help you out here but make sure you get the faster train, there's one around nine in the morning I think, gets you in around 11 something...

Best sites, as indicated on Steve's 1st map for you should be the Jinshan grounds itself, Lighthouse Point, Friendship Hotel especially concentrating on the area around the 'playground' and underneath the mature trees (should be thrushes around), Sandflats (southern corner) and maybe the reservoir if the disturbance is not too bad.
If there is a northerly based wind, even slight, I'd recommend the Lotus Hills watchpoint, should be raptors moving through and it can be good on the walk up along the stream for passerines.

Thanks Rockfowl... very helpful. I will report back on what I see!

Terry

Not much expertise and we always buy tickets in advance, but I don't think you have to ... as Rockfowl says try to get a "D" train (dongche) - only 2 hours, but you may have to take it to Qinhuangdao instead of Beidaihe. Think for the "early birder" there is one that leaves 7:15 a.m. or so, but I guess there are 8 or more D trains to QHD in a day, so you can choose your time. (Less choices of D trains going back, and also try to buy a return ticket if you can in Beijing.)

Last edited:
Thanks Gretchen, very helpful.

I will probably be in Beidaihe from Friday 16 to Sunday 18 April (returning Sunday evening) - if any other birder is around and wants some company, PM me.

Cheers

Terry

In fact it is not necessary to go to the station to buy tickets. There are plenty of train ticket outlet around Beijing, just look around your place, I think you can find one.
And you can also get returen ticket there. However, only return ticket from Qinhuangdao can be bought from Beijng. And you can get on the train with this ticket from Beidaihe. It's no problem, we often do it this way.
BTW, if you buy the ticket at the outlet, there will be an extra fee of 5 rmb, and for the return ticket, 10rmb.

In fact it is not necessary to go to the station to buy tickets. There are plenty of train ticket outlet around Beijing, just look around your place, I think you can find one.
And you can also get return ticket there. However, only return ticket from Qinhuangdao can be bought from Beijing. And you can get on the train with this ticket from Beidaihe. It's no problem, we often do it this way.
BTW, if you buy the ticket at the outlet, there will be an extra fee of 5 rmb, and for the return ticket, 10rmb.

Good advice blancheliu! just be sure that that train stops in Beidaihe! (not as many do as used to, I think)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back