• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (3 Viewers)

They've always been a bit sensitive about an enclosed area adjacent to the northern edge of the res. I believe the army use it. The summer houses at the res. have been there for some time now and there has never been an issue. Perhaps, as you suggest Asif, officials have started to use the place more frequently. Would be a shame to lose it as a birding spot.

Thanks

Frank

We had passes for the reservoir in the Spring Frank, access through the new security gate close to the International hotel. The landscaping is actually very good and the reservoir was very productive due to well err...less people!
Saw good numbers of birds compared with recent years. The 'northern' section has been designed in the hope of attracting 'officials' for R+R. Ask Jean to get you a permit. The new boardwalk may well have the desired effect of enhancing and drawing down the cranes, I hope so, though it is clearly going to hinder closer scrutiny of anything smaller. The windmill/crane HQ was still there in May.
The plan for a big crane festival has been postponed as we need to decide the exact timing and perhaps aim a little lower in terms of expectations!
I think an attendance of 10,000 and the Olympic Football stadium might be pushing it a tad!

Undecided as to what to do this Autumn but I think I might leave it a year and monitor development, especially with the long term coastal development already having a significant effect.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. Sent you a private message but you've answered my questions so no need to read it now. Flights were/are reasonably priced when I looked a couple of days ago so I thought why not head out again. It's tricky if there will only be a few people around - the more pairs of eyes the better. I'm waiting to hear from one or two people so I'll decide myself at that point.

If restrictions are in place it wont half cut down on options in November. Need to get out of those freezing siberian winds every now and again. Anywhere else take your fancy?

Cheers

Frank

Last edited:
Posting here some sightings from my 'garden' in Beijing. My wife and I moved to Beijing for a year in late August. We are living in Central Park (a modern development in the Central Business District). Around the towers of flats we have a few ornamental trees and shrubs - not much but it has been very surprising to me what I have seen..

Siberian Rubythroat (1)
Red-flanked Bluetail (1)
Taiga Flycatcher (quite common throughout September)
Thick-billed Warbler (2)
Yellow-browed Warbler (common in September, less so in October)
Pallas's Warbler (common now)
Arctic Warbler (1 in early September)
Two-barred Greenish Warbler (2-3 individuals in late September/early October)
Radde's Warbler (started arriving this week)
Dusky Warbler (2 individuals over the last 2 weeks)
Daurian Redstart (at least 4 over the last week)
Yellow-bellied Tit (two parties of 12 and 15 in October)
Brown Shrike (1 in early September)
Japanese Quail (1 in early September)
Yellow-browed Bunting (1 in early October)
Azure-winged Magpie (regular)
Eurasian Magpie (regular)

and yesterday, an Asian Stubtail !

Amazing for such a central and urban location....

Most of the leaf warblers I saw in early September were Yellow-browed but now it's mostly Pallas's with several Radde's, Dusky and the odd Two-barred Greenish thrown in...

Terry

www.birdingbeijing.wordpress.com

A nice list for an urban location Terry.

I studied in Beijing for a year in 1990 and di most of my birding to the NW of thecity at the Summer Palace, occasionally the Western Hills and a couple of memorable trips to Miaofeng Shan (Alpine Accentor and Pallas's Rosefinch being top Beijing birds at the latter.

Looking forward to hearing more of what you see.

Cheers
Mike

PS . . . and please send my regards to Jesper

Posting here some sightings from my 'garden' in Beijing. My wife and I moved to Beijing for a year in late August. We are living in Central Park (a modern development in the Central Business District). ...

and yesterday, an Asian Stubtail !

Amazing for such a central and urban location....

Hi Terry,

Thanks for sharing! I'm not familiar with Central Park (in Beijing ;) ) - what's the Chinese name or is it really anywhere near the center of the city??

I'm wondering if you have any brush in the park there since it seems so many parks are cleared of undergrowth, and so I would have thought a stubtail wouldn't find it very inviting.

Congrats on the nice sightings!

Gretchen

PS Just saw your nice pic of the stubtail on your blog - nice!

Hi Mike and Gretchen,

Interested in Miaofeng Shan (just googled it) - looks great! At what time of year would you recommend it?

Central Park is a small area of ornamental trees (with a little brush, if you can call it that). You can see a Google Map here.

Will post a couple of pics of the habitat in the next few days...

Two Pallas's Warblers, a Two-barred Greenish and a Daurian Redstart today.

Terry

Ritan Park ?

This looks an even better bet, Terry.

There's a couple of lakes, too, which should draw in the birds, and much more substantial cover.

Have you 'done' this, yet ?

Hi John,

I have visited Ritan Park a few times.. It looks as if it should draw in far more birds but, so far, I haven't seen more than at Central Park.. I did see a Rufous-bellied Woodpecker in September plus Eastern Crowned, Arctic, Yellow-browed and Pallas's Warblers but there is a bit too much disturbance for any ground-dwelling or scrub-loving birds. I will continue to visit - in fact, now that you have mentioned it, I might have a quick look this afternoon!

T

Hi All,
Will be making my irst visit to Chong Ming Island near Shanghai on 27/28Nov and then my second visit (last time was in the summer a couple of years ago) to the Cang Shang mountains near Dali the following weekend.

Any tips of what to look out for in either place would be appreciated

Cheers
Nick

on 8/9/10 Nov I was in Poyang Lake.Many waterfowls,waders and cranes have arrived.
In one lake there were 120+ Siberian Crane and in another lake there were 151.The numbers of other cranes are not very large.
Within a flock of 1700 diving ducks,I found two Baer's Pochard.
Japanese Swamp Warbler must have led a very poor life in this summer's flood.Almost no long grass alive which is good for JSW.In three days I only saw 5 just after watching Baer's Pochard and ready to leave for my flight.

Still a good percentage on what you could see. I asked because often failed/non-breeders move first it appears and often arrive on the wintering grounds much earlier.

Good stuff!

Hi Mike and Gretchen,

Interested in Miaofeng Shan (just googled it) - looks great! At what time of year would you recommend it?

Terry

Hi Terry

sorry for the slow response - I haven't looked in on this thread for a month.

I went to Miaofeng Shan in winter and early spring, and enjoyed my visit both times.

Cheers

Mike

Today in Yancheng NR it was sunny and almost no wind.After seeing 1 Japanese Waxwing and 3 Japanese Grosbeak,I went for cranes.Just when we found the cranes,a lot of Bean Goose started to fly by from the north.The whole morning total number of BG was 4,000.
Near sunset,when we were watching ducks,a lot of big ducks(Mallard,Spot-billed and Pintail) came from the north and circled over paddyfield for 20-30min and gradually dropped into fish ponds to overnight I guess.Total number is 2,500,within which I found a female Baikal Teal:)
I've never seen this scene of ducks.
I just guess the BG and ducks were in visible migration.
We'll go to have a look at the ducks tmr morning.

Dong Tan reserve on Ching Ming island near Shanghai produced 3 different cranes in a group of around 80 birds on 27Nov10, Hooded, Siberian and Common. What a sight!

Cheers
Nick

Last edited:
There are 14+ Japanese Waxwings together with 8+ Bohemian Waxwings at the Botanical Gardens in Beijing. Also several Dusky, Naumann's (including some intergrades), Black-throated and Red-throated Thrushes plus the usual Chinese Nuthatch, Chinese Grosbeak and Chinese Bulbuls.

Terry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back