• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choseley (1 Viewer)

Jessica46

United Kingdom
Hello there,
I live in Norfolk and I have recently got back into birding now that my family have all grown up and I have more time on my hands. I do the majority of my birding by public transport as I don’t drive making good use of the Coast hopper services. I was thinking of popping to Choseley maybe next time I’m at Titchwell having not been before. My question is can I do this on foot without disturbing the birds? I’ve read the advice from Neil Glenn about not using the footpath that runs past the barn so obviously wouldn’t dream of doing that but is it more of a just sit in your car sort of place and watch? I wouldn’t want to disturb feeding birds nor annoy anyone patiently watching from their car either!

Any advice much appreciated.

If your targets are Corn Bunting and Yellowhammer you will need a heavy dose of good luck.
I was there last week and couldn’t find either species.
More worrying is that two good friends living in Salthouse haven’t seen them or heard of anyone seeing them in this location.

Hi there Jessica and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

If your targets are Corn Bunting and Yellowhammer you will need a heavy dose of good luck.
I was there last week and couldn’t find either species.
More worrying is that two good friends living in Salthouse haven’t seen them or heard of anyone seeing them in this location.
Many Thanks for your reply and advice Mike, I’m just a bit curious about the area having heard a fair bit about it in the past but I’ve only recently realised that it’s actually fairly easy for me to get to via the Coasthopper , that’s worrying about the Corn Buntings and Yellowhammers though.

Hi Jessica and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi Jessica and welcome to BirdForum. I didn’t realise the advice was not to use the footpath?

Rich
Hi and thank you for the welcome Rich. I’m basing the advice on the Best Birdwatching sites book, mine is a 2nd edition bought a good few years ago so the advice might even be out of date now. What is says is “The public footpath runs past the barn but do not use it, as you will frighten away all the birds!” Also in the access details it says walk west (away from the barn ) down the footpath. So on reflection I suppose it probably would be alright to walk up there as long as I kept away from the barn, but I wouldn’t want to make a massive blunder and walk somewhere where it wasn’t the done thing. 🙂

Hi Jessica and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.
Hi Delia, thank you for the warm welcome. I’m a bit rusty after a few years away from birding but I’m really enjoying getting back into it and feel lucky to live in Norfolk as well. I look forward to contributing more. 🙂

Hi Jessica

I also use the Coasthopper bus to bird along the North Norfolk coast and have walked up to Choseley a few times. I'm not sure where this footpath is that you mention, or what birds would be frightened away by walking along it. I haven't been there for a few years but, as far as I remember, I walked along the minor roads that turn off from the main coast road and watched finch flocks and Dotterels (at the right time of year) in the fields and hedgerows without causing any disturbance. Once had a lone Waxwing up there as well.

JessicaNew_1_DSCF3558.JPGNew_1_DSCF3558.JPGNew_1_DSCF3523.JPG
After reading some of the comments above, don`t be despondent about going to Choseley. On a birding trip on 17/19 May 2016, I saw Yellowhammer, Corn Bunting on wires by the Barn, Dotterel, two Turtle Doves, Red Grouse and a lovely Snow Bunting by the road side. I know birds are decreasing in numbers but not that fast.

The only problem I remember at the time, was the Farmer, understandably, objected to people parking on his land at the bottom of the road, past the Barn.

Enjoy a trip there, you never know what you will see. A couple of record pics taken on my visit attached.

Richard:)

Attachments

• DSCF3557.JPG
    DSCF3557.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 4
I wouldn't bother walking up to Choseley barns at the moment. We had a slow drive up there and back down the next road into Thornham a few days ago, stopping to look through all the gaps in the hedges and literally all we saw were Red-legged Partridges, a few hares and a lot of distant pigs.
No Yellowhammers, no Corn Buntings, no Linnets, not even a Chaffinch.

Hi Jessica

I also use the Coasthopper bus to bird along the North Norfolk coast and have walked up to Choseley a few times. I'm not sure where this footpath is that you mention, or what birds would be frightened away by walking along it. I haven't been there for a few years but, as far as I remember, I walked along the minor roads that turn off from the main coast road and watched finch flocks and Dotterels (at the right time of year) in the fields and hedgerows without causing any disturbance. Once had a lone Waxwing up there as well.
Hi there, thank you for the advice. When I do decide to visit not quite sure when yet, but it’s good to know I won’t be disturbing anything when I do 🙂

JessicaView attachment 1425573View attachment 1425573View attachment 1425574
After reading some of the comments above, don`t be despondent about going to Choseley. On a birding trip on 17/19 May 2016, I saw Yellowhammer, Corn Bunting on wires by the Barn, Dotterel, two Turtle Doves, Red Grouse and a lovely Snow Bunting by the road side. I know birds are decreasing in numbers but not that fast.

The only problem I remember at the time, was the Farmer, understandably, objected to people parking on his land at the bottom of the road, past the Barn.

Enjoy a trip there, you never know what you will see. A couple of record pics taken on my visit attached.

Richard:)
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the advice, I will get there for a look at some point, even if there’s not much about it’ll be nice to familiarise myself with the area anyway. Your photos are lovely 🙂

I wouldn't bother walking up to Choseley barns at the moment. We had a slow drive up there and back down the next road into Thornham a few days ago, stopping to look through all the gaps in the hedges and literally all we saw were Red-legged Partridges, a few hares and a lot of distant pigs.
No Yellowhammers, no Corn Buntings, no Linnets, not even a Chaffinch.
Hi Steve, thanks for the advice. I’m not sure exactly when I’ll go probably not until half term at the earliest as I’ll be working but I do appreciate the reply, it might be that I have a wander up while having a day at Titchwell just to have a look at the area anyway but at least I know now I won’t disturb anyone or thing but being on foot. 🙂

Unfortunately 'used to be' just about covers it... Choseley used to be good for Corn Buntings, Turtle Doves, Tree Sparrows and Little Owl.... It still can be good for passage raptors and goose flocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back