• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cisticola ID - Guangxi, China (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

Photos taken in June in Guangxi, China. Have seen both Zitting Cisticola and Golden-headed Cisticola in the general area, so both species are possible.

Uncertain of how to differentiate the two species when it is not a breeding male. Bird unfortunately did not vocalize, which would have made things easier.
(note that it was carrying something in its bill).

Thanks for any help you can give,

Mike

Attachments

• DSC08246 (2).JPG
    DSC08246 (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC08249 (2).JPG
    DSC08249 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC08250 (2).JPG
    DSC08250 (2).JPG
    979.7 KB · Views: 31
Female Golden-headed.
I find the easiest feature to be the head pattern - notice how this is fairly uniform on the cheek, nape and supercilium, so the eye stands out in contrast. Zitting has a more contrasting head, particularly the white supercilium and darker cheek.
Also, Golden-headed is slightly greyer on the mantle and Zitting has more obvious white tips to the tail. In the field, call is very useful of course.

Female Golden-headed.
I find the easiest feature to be the head pattern - notice how this is fairly uniform on the cheek, nape and supercilium, so the eye stands out in contrast. Zitting has a more contrasting head, particularly the white supercilium and darker cheek.
Also, Golden-headed is slightly greyer on the mantle and Zitting has more obvious white tips to the tail. In the field, call is very useful of course.
That's super helpful John, thank you! The area where I saw this bird was the same field I had seen male Golden-headed vocalizing before, but I didn't want to just assume this one was Golden-headed. Thanks for the confirmation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back