• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning NL binoculars the Swarovski way (1 Viewer)

Curious about that statement and the validity of the reviews you cited.
I saw these on Amazon, possibly only sold in Europe and they come with a lot of 1 star reviews. I decided to go with the Swarovski lens cleaning fluid.
Feel free to check them out and perhaps if you order some you can let us know how they perform.
Screenshot_2023-05-27-19-01-56-62_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108~2.jpg

I saw these on Amazon, possibly only sold in Europe and they come with a lot of 1 star reviews. I decided to go with the Swarovski lens cleaning fluid.
Feel free to check them out and perhaps if you order some you can let us know how they perform.
Reviews on Amazon are just about as reliable a source as the Sunday Mirror IME. I find them pretty good. Use them for my glasses and the screens of my mobile devices, and occasionally also for my binoculars. However, I personally prefer the lens cleaning fluid Zeiss offers.

Hermann

Last edited:
Reviews on Amazon are just about as reliable a source as the Sunday Mirror IME. I find them pretty good. Use them for my glasses and the screens of my mobile devices, and occasionally also for my binoculars. However, I personally prefer the lens cleaning fluid Zeiss offers.

Hermann
That's good to hear Hermann. These small sachets certainly have convenience, being able to put them in pockets or the binocular case makes them ideal out in the field and at a moments notice.
I'm considering the alcohol version for other devices, handy to have around the house.

I was given a box of Zeiss cleaning wipes by an optician a few years ago (which look the same as these). I decided to use them as the 'final step' in the cleaning of some Opticron binoculars. I had some hesitation given that the wipes seemed quite tough, almost woody in their texture. There was some sort of solvent embedded in the wipe - they almost reminded me of the lemon wipes you got from fast food restaurants in the past. The lenses ended up clean... but with several scratches showing in the lenses. Perhaps that is just coincidence, but they ended up being tossed in the back of a wardrobe and I had to pay to replace the lenses. Thank goodness I did not use them on more expensive optics.

The only way I clean optics nowadays is to run the lenses under the tap (assuming they are waterproof), gently get some hand soap on my finger, pat the lens surface, and then wash the soap away. There are a few brands of hand soap which don't seem to leave a residue (Carex for one). I think the beauty of this approach is that the water should physically remove any debris, and if any remains, you will feel it with your finger when you apply the soap. I also think that the soap/water will also lubricate any debris that remains and hence reduce the risk of scratching.

I was given a box of Zeiss cleaning wipes by an optician a few years ago (which look the same as these). I decided to use them as the 'final step' in the cleaning of some Opticron binoculars. I had some hesitation given that the wipes seemed quite tough, almost woody in their texture. There was some sort of solvent embedded in the wipe - they almost reminded me of the lemon wipes you got from fast food restaurants in the past. The lenses ended up clean... but with several scratches showing in the lenses. Perhaps that is just coincidence, but they ended up being tossed in the back of a wardrobe and I had to pay to replace the lenses. Thank goodness I did not use them on more expensive optics.

The only way I clean optics nowadays is to run the lenses under the tap (assuming they are waterproof), gently get some hand soap on my finger, pat the lens surface, and then wash the soap away. There are a few brands of hand soap which don't seem to leave a residue (Carex for one). I think the beauty of this approach is that the water should physically remove any debris, and if any remains, you will feel it with your finger when you apply the soap. I also think that the soap/water will also lubricate any debris that remains and hence reduce the risk of scratching.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with these Zeiss wipes Birdister, I may get some more for convenience and for other devices, ideal for phones.
Running water no problem but I do not think I'm brave enough to try hand soap on my NL Pures, Sodium Laureth Sulfate one of the main ingredients of hand wash or soaps is also found in engine degreasers and industrial strength detergents. The trouble is we do not know if and by how much the coatings are compromised with such an ingredient. Having said that with every NL Pure comes a bar of soap, this is for washing the outer body.
When spending nearly £3000 on a binocular one starts to take the utmost care, this was why I was also concerned with alcohol in wipes and as you say the actual wipes are coarse in nature and do not feel good wiping over the surface of the glass. The method I've found that works for me is an air bulb first, cotton wool balls or qtips with lens solution. I only touch the glass if absolutely necessary.

When spending nearly £3000 on a binocular one starts to take the utmost care, this was why I was also concerned with alcohol in wipes and as you say the actual wipes are coarse in nature and do not feel good wiping over the surface of the glass.
I've got a couple of boxes of the Zeiss wipes here and just checked. The ones I've got are not coarse.

Hermann

I've got a couple of boxes of the Zeiss wipes here and just checked. The ones I've got are not coarse.

Hermann

You'll be much better off with cotton wall balls Hermann trust me, much softer and much more easier to manipulate around the glass, they also hold the lens solution well, even the Swarovski sachets aren't much cop, give it a try and you can thank me later.

You'll be much better off with cotton wall balls Hermann trust me, much softer and much more easier to manipulate around the glass, they also hold the lens solution well, even the Swarovski sachets aren't much cop, give it a try and you can thank me later.
I use the Zeiss wipes mainly for my glasses and the screens of my portable devices. I only use them for my binoculars and scopes in an emergency in the field. No scratches at all, not even on my glasses.

For close on 30 years I used a mixture of isopropanol and purified water for lens cleaning. First on a clean cotton cloth and later, when they came onto the market, on microfibre cloths. My usual method today is to use Zeiss Lens Cleaning Fluid on a microfibre cloth. Been doing that for years now. Works well.

Cotton wool balls: When I got into birding (and photography) in the late 1970s, some manufacturers warned against using cotton wool balls for lens cleaning. Their argument was that cotton wool balls might damage the coatings which were admittedly softer then they are now, especially on camera lenses.

Hermann

Last edited:
Good info, I have tried Swarovski lens cleaning solution with a Swarovski microfibre cloth but I still preferred the cotton wool balls due to their softness and ease of use. I can easily go around the edges without applying too much pressure, I try to clean as little as possible.
As I said in an earlier post and concur that these sachets wipes are excellent for convenience and in the field. I have also never heard of them scratching surfaces.
No doubting your method Hermann, it works. I would like to try the Zeiss fluid one day, have a feeling it's a superior cleaner.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with these Zeiss wipes Birdister, I may get some more for convenience and for other devices, ideal for phones.
Running water no problem but I do not think I'm brave enough to try hand soap on my NL Pures, Sodium Laureth Sulfate one of the main ingredients of hand wash or soaps is also found in engine degreasers and industrial strength detergents. The trouble is we do not know if and by how much the coatings are compromised with such an ingredient. Having said that with every NL Pure comes a bar of soap, this is for washing the outer body.
When spending nearly £3000 on a binocular one starts to take the utmost care, this was why I was also concerned with alcohol in wipes and as you say the actual wipes are coarse in nature and do not feel good wiping over the surface of the glass. The method I've found that works for me is an air bulb first, cotton wool balls or qtips with lens solution. I only touch the glass if absolutely necessary.

I think there is always going to be some risk whichever method is used. The soap is an unknown quantity and could affect the coatings. I have used mild soap on several Swarovski products over a long period of time with no ill-effect (8x25, BTX, 115mm) but of course experiences can vary. The real worth of the water and soap combination is that it is the best way of (1) removing debris and (2) reducing the risk of scratching from any debris that remains. If liquid is not used it would be very easy for debris to remain and be mobilised during the cleaning process. I find it hard to believe that even quite forceful blowing and brushing will be enough to remove all debris (e.g. from the corner area between the lens and the housing).

I think there is always going to be some risk whichever method is used. The soap is an unknown quantity and could affect the coatings. I have used mild soap on several Swarovski products over a long period of time with no ill-effect (8x25, BTX, 115mm) but of course experiences can vary. The real worth of the water and soap combination is that it is the best way of (1) removing debris and (2) reducing the risk of scratching from any debris that remains. If liquid is not used it would be very easy for debris to remain and be mobilised during the cleaning process. I find it hard to believe that even quite forceful blowing and brushing will be enough to remove all debris (e.g. from the corner area between the lens and the housing).
Hi, I have watched closely when blowing debris from the glass surface and you are correct, it is only good for the larger parts, I'm using a bulb blower.
The brushing is another step and fairly good at removing particles around the edges but could pose a risk of scratches as they are swept away.
I have never used water on the glass but I must say this does seem a very logical step, one that I shall try in some form on the next clean. For me personally maybe there was always a fear of the water entering the binocular which is of course absurd, thanks for sharing your experience.

FWIW, modern coatings are very durable and should be immune to damage from soap or alcohol. But you don't want liquids to get into the edges of the lens. You want to apply the cleaning stuff to your cloth or pad and then touch it to the lens.

If solvent get into the edges of the lens it could affect the paint, plastic, or rubber on the parts that hold the lens in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back